Ford, Are you Listening? 2018+ Change/Wish List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy_270

Reaction score
No buyers remorse on the Expedition, I just wish Ford would have given me the option of which engine I want. The idea of a turbo v6 is great in therory, until the boost kicks in. The unloaded fuel mileage is tolerable, and actually good when there is no wind on the highway, but mixed is no better the my 2014 F150 5.0 was as I said before. And the towing fuel milage is a joke. I have to run in 7th gear to get 8-9 mpg. 8th or 9th gear and the fuel mileage drops to 7-8mpg. Thats only towing a 6' x 10' enclosed single axle trailer with a 6' interior weighing about 2000-2500 pounds loaded. My F150 got 10-11 mpg with the same trailer, same speed, same roads running in 5th gear (same as 8th in the 10 speed) and I even had one size up tires on the truck. Overall I still really like the Expedition and don't plan on getting rid of it, but it is my first and last ecoboost.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, by time you replace your expy, most all full sized suvs will have a turbo engine. I agree that ford shouldoffer the v8 in the expy, sales would damn near dbl off that choice alone. I myself wouldve took the 2.7 or diesel if it were available. I like the 3.5l, its scary quick n for me, gas mileage is fantastic for such a big car, esp after i hit 5k.

OP
OP
gtnator

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear hybrids and plug in electrics are coming too. I would welcome the instant torque and electric range on a plugin, kind of like the Volt. It would be great to cruise around town and get 30-50 miles of all electric range, then switch to gas when you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mileage on the 3.5 turbo is pretty good. The same non turbo version in our Transit vans only get 8-9 in town, and about 12-14 highway. Thank God I dont pay for fuel!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear hybrids and plug in electrics are coming too. I would welcome the instant torque and electric range on a plugin, kind of like the Volt. It would be great to cruise around town and get 30-50 miles of all electric range, then switch to gas when you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they make a hybrid in the next few years we may trade our ‘18 in for it and get the longer wheelbase as well.

18-FX4-GUY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interior wise wish they changed the cup holders, make them a little bigger like my F 150 had to hold my water bottles. Especially in the doors they are to small to hold anything.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No buyers remorse on the Expedition, I just wish Ford would have given me the option of which engine I want. The idea of a turbo v6 is great in therory, until the boost kicks in. The unloaded fuel mileage is tolerable, and actually good when there is no wind on the highway, but mixed is no better the my 2014 F150 5.0 was as I said before. And the towing fuel milage is a joke. I have to run in 7th gear to get 8-9 mpg. 8th or 9th gear and the fuel mileage drops to 7-8mpg. Thats only towing a 6' x 10' enclosed single axle trailer with a 6' interior weighing about 2000-2500 pounds loaded. My F150 got 10-11 mpg with the same trailer, same speed, same roads running in 5th gear (same as 8th in the 10 speed) and I even had one size up tires on the truck. Overall I still really like the Expedition and don't plan on getting rid of it, but it is my first and last ecoboost.

I think a V8 will be coming, Ford has a few projects going on for future V8 Powertrains. The turbocharged engines dont get good economy under load and inevitablely have higher maintenance. Electric has a long way to go, and they need a way to make the charge faster.....if I went electric I want a 5 minute charge, no longer than it takes me to get gas. Plus I want the 500 mile range I get. Then again, I’ll just take the gas engine anyway. Electric is also crazy pricey for parts and maintenance. I’m sure one day electric will make more economic sense, but I don’t think internal combustion is going anywhere anytime soon.

GM has come leaps and bounds making the pushrod V8 fuel efficient and powerful.....to the point it gets the same economy as a V6. This still created more maintenance, id rather pay a bit more for gas and have the reliability. This is why I like the HD trucks, like Fords 6.2L and GMs 6.0L..... bullet proof reliable with good power.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5.0L V8/ 10 speed in the F-150 has a been a home run. People love it as it’s fast as lighting and returns good mileage. It would fit the Expedition like a glove, and create a whole new group of buyers.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW here is the brand new Hennessey Velociraptor 5.0L V8.....Not related whatsoever but I just had to share somewhere.

“It's what you've been waiting for. We took the new Ford Raptor truck, removed the V6 EcoBoost and installed a new 5.0L V8 engine in it. The result is the 758 HP Hennessey VelociRaptor V8. Order yours now! 979-885-1300”

http://www.HennesseyPerformance.com

Last edited:

Randy_270

Reaction score
BTW here is the brand new Hennessey Velociraptor 5.0L V8.....Not related whatsoever but I just had to share somewhere.

“It's what you've been waiting for. We took the new Ford Raptor truck, removed the V6 EcoBoost and installed a new 5.0L V8 engine in it. The result is the 758 HP Hennessey VelociRaptor V8. Order yours now! 979-885-1300”

http://www.HennesseyPerformance.com

Now if they put off road suspension and a v8 in the Expedition, I'd trade mine in right now!