Ford, Are you Listening? 2018+ Change/Wish List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interior wise wish they changed the cup holders, make them a little bigger like my F 150 had to hold my water bottles. Especially in the doors they are to small to hold anything.

Agree. The door cup holders are not cup holders as they don’t hold cups. Maybe some sissy European tea cups or something, but this is ‘Murica and I can’t fit a Yeti in the door!

OP
OP
gtnator

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Platinum Expy has enough power, and I LIKE power. It has power through the entire band, which is awesome. I don’t tow so can’t comment on that. However I too wish it got a little better MPGs. Maybe a plug-in version with 30-50 miles of all electric range would take care of the mileage problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new explorer is supposed to be launching with a hybrid v6 option. Ford is also working on a hybridized ecoboost for the navi thats due on the next f150 in 2 yrs. When those come out, well get a good base for what a hybrid can do in the expy come its redesign. Im hopin the diesel or another engine becomes available during the mid cycle refresh, and that it happens by 2021 when i turn mines in.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new explorer is supposed to be launching with a hybrid v6 option. Ford is also working on a hybridized ecoboost for the navi thats due on the next f150 in 2 yrs. When those come out, well get a good base for what a hybrid can do in the expy come its redesign. Im hopin the diesel or another engine becomes available during the mid cycle refresh, and that it happens by 2021 when i turn mines in.

Dodge has “e-torque” available on the new 5.7 Hemi in the Ram and Durango, which is a hybrid system. I’d avoid it but some like it as it gives more range.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dodge has “e-torque” available on the new 5.7 Hemi in the Ram and Durango, which is a hybrid system. I’d avoid it but some like it as it gives more range.

The e-torque system is not specifically designed to extend the range of the Ram, it’s a byproduct.

The system was designed to level the load on the battery during the auto start-stop cycles and to smooth and accelerate the restart upon lifting your foot off the brake. Also to allow the truck to stay off longer and not pull power from the engine to run the electrics when cruising.

All this results in a couple mpg more, but it’s not a hybrid system like, say, a Prius.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-ram-1500-etorque-proves-that-electrification-w-1828568208

(I’m not being disagreeable, it’s just interesting what manufacturers will call a “hybrid” these days to jump on the bandwagon. #green #millennials #motherearth #hashtag)

Last edited:

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was disappointed to learn the 130 ft-lbs of torque wasn't available to the engine when accelerating from a stop. Surely this could have been used to reduce the load the engine had to power when accelerating briskly, thus having the engine consume fuel as though grannying it off the lights but getting a reasonable take off?

Otherwise this is all in the name of making the auto start stop less troublesome which could be achieved more simply by removing the stop start altogether. In the real world most of us cannot detect the difference between auto start stop being on or off in the mpg of a tankful of gas. The artificial urban test route might, but most ordinary users won't

DExpy17

Reaction score
Get rid of the independent rear suspension and go to a solid rear axle for those of use that tow with it.

OP
OP
gtnator

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get rid of the independent rear suspension and go to a solid rear axle for those of use that tow with it.

Did you experience something bad during towing that makes you say this or is this just a general statement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was heavily cross-shopping the Expy with the Yukon because everybody says that solid rear axle is better for towing. Only one article I read could actually artuculate how it is better. If I recall it was something about the extra weight can pull an IRS out of alignment, plus an IRS will cause the trailer to move around a lot more. But then after sitting in a Yukon SWB it was pretty much game over. That axle causes too many other tradeoffs that essentially make the rear row worthless in a Yukon SWB. Now I don't "need" more than 5 seats on a daily basis, but it sure is nice to have a usable 3rd row on occasion.

Now that I've towed my 6500 lb travel trailer 1200 miles with the Expy, I don't have any problems with trailer sway or any other stability problem. It tracks very solidly behind me even in strong crosswinds, much better than my Jeep semi-unibody did pulling it. I'm not sure how exactly a solid rear axle would help me.