Ford Expedition- Texas Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a 2022 Expedition XLT 4WD and it looked pretty sad with with
31.9 inch tires (275/55r20).

I got 3/2 inch icon lift
18 inch wheels
285/75r18 (34.8 inch)
Removed soccer mom running board and valence

Here are before & after pictures. I know Ford has added Timberline and GMC has the Raptor and now ATX (2 inch lift & 31 inch tires 265/60r18) but I don’t why both Ford & GM don’t mass produce a 3 inch lift, level (everyone hates the rake and levels here), and 34-35 inch tires. In Texas, I would say 50% of all trucks are lifted, 30% of 4Runners, and 20% of Expedtions. Texas is by far the biggest market for trucks and if everyone lifting/leveling, it’s crazy these guy in Detroit haven’t started selling them that way.
I’m really happy with new look. Zero rubbing. Fit in 6’8 parking garage at work.

Here are some pics and details

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new. It is stock and unmodified.

I don’t get it - what is the purpose of installing lift kits and oversize / extended tires and wheels?

Is it simply how the vehicle looks? Is there any practical purpose to the modifications?

I live in a semi-rural area and there are many trucks and SUV’s lifted, with tires and wheels sticking out of the side of the trucks. The oversize-extended tires throw road debris and water on vehicles behind them. Some of the extreme lifted trucks have no running boards or side steps and it looks to be difficult to easily enter the vehicle.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new. It is stock and unmodified.

I don’t get it - what is the purpose of installing lift kits and oversize / extended tires and wheels?

Is it simply how the vehicle looks? Is there any practical purpose to the modifications?

I live in a semi-rural area and there are many trucks and SUV’s lifted, with tires and wheels sticking out of the side of the trucks. The oversize-extended tires throw road debris and water on vehicles behind them. Some of the extreme lifted trucks have no running boards or side steps and it looks to be difficult to easily enter the vehicle.
I suppose it would come in handy during hurricane flooding? I can't really talk, many of my old Jeeps were lifted, but used to do a ton of off-roading in CO, following BLM trails etc. But as you said, most of these massive vehicles can't off-road in those locations, the wheelbases are far too long, even my Jeeps barely fit many of the roads. But to each his/her own I suppose. And don't get me wrong, some of them look great. My experience with these vehicles so far though is that many of the mechanical components appear to be built with stress tolerances at or near their maximums, the additional resistance and rolling mass to me seems like stuff is going to fail pretty fast. But, maybe that doesn't matter. Just remember the supply chain issues, screw up a tranny or tcase, you could be down for months.

OP
OP
S

stupendous

Reaction score
But to each his/her own I suppose. And don't get me wrong, some of them look great. My experience with these vehicles so far though is that many of the mechanical components appear to be built with stress tolerances at or near their maximums, the additional resistance and rolling mass to me seems like stuff is going to fail pretty fast.
This.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The light duty components of a 1/2 ton truck won't be happy with extended wheels.
I like mine stock height, and would pay to lower it if it came with a lift on it.

OP
OP
S

stupendous

Reaction score
My experience with these vehicles so far though is that many of the mechanical components appear to be built with stress tolerances at or near their maximums, the additional resistance and rolling mass to me seems like stuff is going to fail pretty fast. But, maybe that doesn't matter. Just remember the supply chain issues, screw up a tranny or tcase, you could be down for months.

My third lifted Ford. 10 yrs lots of miles and no problems.