Ford make aluminum wheels 1st gens?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Finally got a quality wheel balancing after 3 tries at different shops.

Big improvement at 75mph. They did say these old steels get difficult to balance perfectly due to wear. They recommend aluminum wheels, easier to repair and balance.

What OEM’s made of aluminum would be a direct fitment? Happy to buy used/reman.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What brand of tire are you using ? Unless you get rust pitting along the bead area of the rim and you're losing air, steel rims don't just "wear out". More likely the brand of tire you're using is the issue with the high speed performance. Or get the tires checked at a shop that has a Hunter 9700 Road Force balancer. Those machines check for tire roundness as well as high speed balance. Unfortunately most indy shops use the cheaper Coats balancer. Michelin LTX's are a good tire if you drive high speeds a lot.

But here's a selection of OEM wheels at Rock Auto for your Expy. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2000,expedition,5.4l+v8,1362439,wheel,wheel,7644

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I’ve got General Grabbers all season they are about 50%.

They balanced better than the dealer, and another tire Indy.

Much better but I want perfect and only way is with aluminum wheels.

LAexpy

Reaction score
Check out OfferUp - I sold the OEM original 17" aluminum wheels on there. You can find them pretty cheap

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Make your rim/hub mating surface is clean. A little rust or corrosion will make the wheel wobble.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
As long as you're going 5-lug to 5-lug the pattern is the same.
Ford used different size lugs on the 1st gen Expeditions. The 4x4( alloy 17") xlt, and Eddie Bauer alloy had larger ones than the Eddie Bauer(17" steel/chrome) and 4x2 and 16 versions. In short, the alloy wheels will be too big on a OEM steel version lugs.