Ford quietly redesigned the thermostat in 2022...replace it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NavigatorPro

Reaction score
If you are having cooling issues you should know Ford quietly redesigned the thermostat in 2022. Replace it now if you have the old one. The problem was the thermostat sticking closed. The other thing to know is thermostats do not last forever and should be replaced every 50,000 miles or any time a cooling issue is identified. So even if replaces with the new one understand it eventually will wear out.

Here is a cooling checklist...
#1. Check the active grille shutters. I disconnect mine for the warm months over 60 degrees. Must be disconnected while the vehicle is on, AC on which will open the shutters wide open. Do not disconnect with shutters closed. Doublecheck the shutters after disconnection. Are they open? See radiator?

#2. MAIN part: The thermostat should be replaced with most current Motorcraft thermostat. The thermostat was redesigned as the old thermostat was sticking closed. Get it off of Rockauto. If you have old thermostat which came with truck replace it now!

#3. Secondary part: a) spark plugs/coils...only use Motorcraft most current b) engine cover...remove and set aside c) airfilter...only use Motorcraft d) radiator reservoir pressure cap.

Last edited:

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are having cooling issues you should know Ford quietly redesigned the thermostat in 2022. Replace it now if you have the old one. The problem was the thermostat sticking closed. The other thing to know is thermostats do not last forever and should be replaced every 50,000 miles or any time a cooling issue is identified. So even if replaces with the new one understand it eventually will wear out.

Here is a cooling checklist...
#1. Check the active grille shutters. I disconnect mine for the warm months over 60 degrees. Must be disconnected while the vehicle is on, AC on which will open the shutters wide open. Do not disconnect with shutters closed. Doublecheck the shutters after disconnection. Are they open? See radiator?

#2. MAIN part: The thermostat should be replaced with most current Motorcraft thermostat. The thermostat was redesigned as the old thermostat was sticking closed. Get it off of Rockauto. If you have old thermostat which came with truck replace it now!

#3. Secondary part: a) spark plugs/coils...only use Motorcraft most current b) engine cover...remove and set aside c) airfilter...only use Motorcraft d) radiator reservoir pressure cap.
Do you have the part number of the old one vs the new one so we know which to buy?

OP
OP
N

NavigatorPro

Reaction score
Do you have the part number of the old one vs the new one so we know which to buy?
You should input your vin into the Ford parts website and then look up thermostat. Take note of what its telling you is the correct thermostat. Then go over to Rockauto and look up your vehicle and get the Motorcraft thermostat. RockAutos parts catalog is generally correct but its a good idea to compare it against the Ford parts website. You can of course get it from your local dealer or off of the Ford parts website, but RockAuto is more cost effective.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I won't be doing this but to clarify for others; the '22+ thermostat is the CORRECT Tstat? It sounds as though the 22+ should be replaced by the way this message is posted but is it in fact the one you want?

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should input your vin into the Ford parts website and then look up thermostat. Take note of what its telling you is the correct thermostat. Then go over to Rockauto and look up your vehicle and get the Motorcraft thermostat. RockAutos parts catalog is generally correct but its a good idea to compare it against the Ford parts website. You can of course get it from your local dealer or off of the Ford parts website, but RockAuto is more cost effective.

I'm confused, maybe if you post a source so I can look this up? i only see one option on the parts.ford.com, so i have no idea if it's the new or old version.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
#3. Secondary part: a) spark plugs/coils...only use Motorcraft most current c) airfilter...only use Motorcraft
These 2 statements are just plain wrong.

a - The Spark Plugs - The Motorcraft Sparkplugs currently being offered by ford are complete and total junk. PERIOD. NGK is the goto recommended by anybody that actually works on these EcoBoost Motors.

c - The Air Filter - Yes the stock paper filter, filters fine, but airflow through it is terrible. It also gets plugged VERY easily, and it VERY susceptible to moisture. Ford has redesigned the airbox in recent years to help with the water saturation issue, but still can be a problem. I don't recommend the oiled filters, because people over oil them when they clean them, and that causes issues. AFE, AEM, and I am sure other make dry cleanable cotton based filters that filter as good as stock, but allow more flow due to greater surface area, are less likely to get clogged again due to greater surface area. Then if we want to talk to the best filter out there, that would be Donaldson's powerCore. Amazing flow and filter.

OP
OP
N

NavigatorPro

Reaction score
NGK makes the Motorcraft spark plugs. As for the air filter the vehicle was designed for that air filter or vice versa. Ford will blame the aftermarket air filter if there are issues. In terms of warranty you are better of using the parts Ford tells you to use especially the oil filter If anything goes wrong they will look for aftermarket parts to blame and might give you a problem warranty wise.

Here is a Motorcraft plug and an NGK.
20230420_142345.jpg

OP
OP
N

NavigatorPro

Reaction score
Here is the thermostat I pulled out of my 2021 Lincoln Navigator versus the redesigned model. The redesigned model has the black end and the model in the 2021 a brass end.

As for part numbers Ford changes parts all the time most especially spark plugs. I will refer you to the dealer or the Ford website for most current information.

The redesigned model brought down my temperature average to about 200 degrees. 196 to 200 I believe whereas before it was hitting 220!

Screenshot_20230420_150345_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230420_150329_Gallery.jpg