Forged Aluminum Lug Nuts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of Vossen hf6-2 wheels and when we did install the lugs weren't in yet so tire shop used something they had in stock that worked.

Got lugs in and went to put them on myself today and found the are forged aluminum lugs. Is there any downside to using aluminum? I feel like they may not hold as well over time or am I wrong? Anyone have any experience with these?

Attachments

• 20221231_145015.jpg
    20221231_145015.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 16725200026053043562155277177891.jpg
    16725200026053043562155277177891.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 27

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have to be careful with Aluminum lugs. They always have a lower torque specification then steel. Make sure they are good to more than 150lbs. Also they can dialectically corrode themselves onto the steel lugs.

Its always better to go with steel but that does not mean you cannot go with alum. Just make sure they spec out to the torque.

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have to be careful with Aluminum lugs. They always have a lower torque specification then steel. Make sure they are good to more than 150lbs. Also they can dialectically corrode themselves onto the steel lugs.

Its always better to go with steel but that does not mean you cannot go with alum. Just make sure they spec out to the torque.

Thanks for the info... if the lug nuts weren't so damn ugly that they originally put on I would not have switched.

Everything I ordered is spec'd out for the expedition so hopefully all is well.

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, after reading as much as I can find online, it appears I wasted my time putting these on lol... anyone know of a good steel lug nut for vossen wheel?

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aluminum threads are subject to galling which can seize them to the studs, especially if they're tightened with an impact gun. If you were to use them, use copious amounts of anti-seize and hand tighten them.

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aluminum threads are subject to galling which can seize them to the studs, especially if they're tightened with an impact gun. If you were to use them, use copious amounts of anti-seize and hand tighten them.

I did read about only hand tightening... that's how I installed them... may roll with them for a while an see.

Thanks for input

ExpyNole

Reaction score
hand tighten or air gun, still needs 150ft-lbs of torque.
I wouldn't use aluminum lug nuts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni