FORScan cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1sttimeexpo

Reaction score
How much does this cost in all I know 99 for the Bluetooth thingy 599 for the app and supposedly 50 for the lifetime license.But do you have to buy credits to use it?

ChiefsFanInMD

Reaction score
the 5.99 for the app is only on a phone. If you use a PC, the app is free and you only have to buy a license. You can get an USB, hardwired, elm hs/ms-can adapter for around 30.00 and a 2 month trial license to give it a shot with before shelling out for the lifetime.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the 5.99 for the app is only on a phone. If you use a PC, the app is free and you only have to buy a license. You can get an elm hs/ms-can adapter for around 30.00 and a 2 month trial license to give it a shot with before shelling out for the lifetime.

You can trial license forever actually. Just annoying!

No programming can be done on the app, but many diags, and some module resets, and then of course reading of sensor data.

Remember the Cheaper ELM327 BT adapters do not support iPhones. You have to get the WiFi variant, and then when using with a PC, you can't be connected to the Adapter and your home Wifi at the same time, if you need to look up something. Cheaping out on these adapters, I do not recommend at all. The OBDLink MX+ is BTLE, and works with iPhone, Android and Windows. One adapter to use in all cases, plus it does not stick out as far as most of the ELM327 adapters. In addition, if you have issues with it, there is a legit company to contact for support. I have about 10 total of various OBDII Wireless/BT adapters I have tested over the past few years. The MX+ is BY FAR the best for the money. The Kiwi 4 is good for reading data and stand alone logging, but not so much at the programming.

My 2 cents...

ChiefsFanInMD

Reaction score
You can trial license forever actually. Just annoying!

No programming can be done on the app, but many diags, and some module resets, and then of course reading of sensor data.

Remember the Cheaper ELM327 BT adapters do not support iPhones. You have to get the WiFi variant, and then when using with a PC, you can't be connected to the Adapter and your home Wifi at the same time, if you need to look up something. Cheaping out on these adapters, I do not recommend at all. The OBDLink MX+ is BTLE, and works with iPhone, Android and Windows. One adapter to use in all cases, plus it does not stick out as far as most of the ELM327 adapters. In addition, if you have issues with it, there is a legit company to contact for support. I have about 10 total of various OBDII Wireless/BT adapters I have tested over the past few years. The MX+ is BY FAR the best for the money. The Kiwi 4 is good for reading data and stand alone logging, but not so much at the programming.

My 2 cents...
I was so skeptical of the bt/wifi adapters that I went usb hardwired and used an old netbook I had sitting in the basement. Who says windows7 is useless? :)

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a generic ELM327 and a wired MX+. The ELM327 is good for generic sensor data, like IAT, Octane, tire pressure, etc. I use the wired one for module programming. Either way works, but frequently, you get what you pay for. I also purchased the two-year Forscan subscription, as I have two Ford vehicles and it was worth it.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was so skeptical of the bt/wifi adapters that I went usb hardwired and used an old netbook I had sitting in the basement. Who says windows7 is useless? :)

Haha! Love Windows 7! A good one like the MX+ is not to worry. I use it for 99% of my changes. I do have a OBDLink EX(USB), but only bought it to do firmware updates on the APIM(Wired is highly recommended because of the way the process works). Have used it maybe 5/6 times. The MX+ is a great adapter.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a generic ELM327 and a wired MX+. The ELM327 is good for generic sensor data, like IAT, Octane, tire pressure, etc. I use the wired one for module programming. Either way works, but frequently, you get what you pay for. I also purchased the two-year Forscan subscription, as I have two Ford vehicles and it was worth it.

The Wired USB Adapter from OBDLink is the EX. The MX+ is the BT Adapter that also supports iDevices. The MX is the BT Adapter that only supports Android and Windows(Have That one too).

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Wired USB Adapter from OBDLink is the EX. The MX+ is the BT Adapter that also supports iDevices. The MX is the BT Adapter that only supports Android and Windows(Have That one too).

I stand corrected. I just checked my purchase history.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@LokiWolf , so if I understand correctly, the MX+ and windows laptop/device is all that is required to make changes to Forscan?

What are the reasons for having the OBDLink EX? You mentioned APIM changes. Is that something a novice (meaning me) is likely to need or use? Note: $10 off on Amazon now.

I'm thinking about ordering and just want to be sure before spending the money.

Last edited: