FORScan cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@LokiWolf , so if I understand correctly, the MX+ and windows laptop/device is all that is required to make changes to Forscan?

What are the reasons for having the OBDLink EX? You mentioned APIM changes. Is that something a novice (meaning me) is likely to need or use? Note: $10 off on Amazon now.

I'm thinking about ordering and just want to be sure before spending the money.

I am a BIG fan of the MX+ and use it 99% of the time. I use it with my Windows Laptop to make changes using FORSCAN. I use it to connect to my phone for monitoring things live, and using the mobile FORSCAN to see DTC's, and do basic reset procedures.

The EX is the hardwired solution, and in my opinion is only needed when do things that even the slightest blip could cause issues like a Firmware flash to the APIM. I have one, and use it for that, and sometimes editing modules, just cause the MX+ is in the other car, and the wife has it at work.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ForScan runs on windows 10 - you can run it native on a laptop or in a virtual machine via VMware Fusion or Parallels.

I use the OBDLink MX Bluetooth device to make changes - because I run ForScan in a VM on my MacBook Pro's.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NZTZLQ

Remember the MX BT will NOT work with an iPhone, it has to be a MX+. Other than that the MX is great!

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember the MX BT will NOT work with an iPhone, it has to be a MX+. Other than that the MX is great!

agree/understood - I also have the MX+ (wifi) for use w/ my iPhone & the app for monitoring.
for the @Alwaysthinkin - the app/iPhone will not allow you to make changes...changes need to be conducted via win10 ForScan.

TO @LokiWolf 's point - if you use the MX+ you can use it w/ your phones, tablets (for monitoring) and w/ a laptop to make changes.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
agree/understood - I also have the MX+ (wifi) for use w/ my iPhone & the app for monitoring.
for the @Alwaysthinkin - the app/iPhone will not allow you to make changes...changes need to be conducted via win10 ForScan.

TO @LokiWolf 's point - if you use the MX+ you can use it w/ your phones, tablets (for monitoring) and w/ a laptop to make changes.

For clarity the MX+ is not WiFi it is BTLE, and that is why it works with the iPhone, and everything else.

The MX had a BT version that only worked with Android, and Computers(Mac via VM, or Windows). There was also a MX WiFi version that worked with everything, but you could not be connected on a laptop to the internet via WiFi and the adapter, so it was a PAIN.

The MX+ is the replacement for both the MX's. The MX’s are no longer a current solution from OBDLink.

Last edited:

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am a BIG fan of the MX+ and use it 99% of the time. I use it with my Windows Laptop to make changes using FORSCAN. I use it to connect to my phone for monitoring things live, and using the mobile FORSCAN to see DTC's, and do basic reset procedures.

The EX is the hardwired solution, and in my opinion is only needed when do things that even the slightest blip could cause issues like a Firmware flash to the APIM. I have one, and use it for that, and sometimes editing modules, just cause the MX+ is in the other car, and the wife has it at work.

Thanks @LokiWolf. I know this wasn't the most thrilling question of your day and appreciate you taking time to reply.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks @LokiWolf. I know this wasn't the most thrilling question of your day and appreciate you taking time to reply.

No problem at all! Hope it helps!

Sorry I missed the tag, otherwise would have responded sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk