ForScan Tweaks - 2015+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catmandu

Reaction score
I have tweaked my 2017 XLT, activating a Ford brake controller I installed, enabling remote start, etc. But now have a new issue. Sync Line In is failing me, both USB and BT. Dealer thinks an update will fix it, but local dealer has no availabiltiy until December, and next town over is scheduling in APRIL!

I have SYNC with MyFord, 4.2" display. Can FORSCAN update this module?

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have tweaked my 2017 XLT, activating a Ford brake controller I installed, enabling remote start, etc. But now have a new issue. Sync Line In is failing me, both USB and BT. Dealer thinks an update will fix it, but local dealer has no availabiltiy until December, and next town over is scheduling in APRIL!

I have SYNC with MyFord, 4.2" display. Can FORSCAN update this module?
Never tried. I would check out the FORSCAN forums them selves and ask there. If you are on the F150Forums, look up Livnitup. Since the 150 also came with that version of Sync, he might have an idea. I have only dealt with the 6Inch and above display units for Sync3 and Sync4.

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would check out the FORSCAN forums them selves and ask there.
I seems like we can't join the forum without buying a product, and we can't buy a product because they can't get paid, and they can't get paid because their leadership has chosen to invade an innocent country.

seventieslord

Reaction score
I'm new to all of this and was wondering if there's a "getting started" type thread that you may be able to direct me to.

I've had expys for a decade. A 2010 for 7 years, and then a 2018 for the last 2 years.

I have a cheap ELM327 OBD2 adapter that I've used for years on multiple cars using the Torque app. It's pretty much read-only but I've always liked it. I can see codes, clear codes, and view all sorts of gauges, monitor temperatures, etc.

But it has come to my attention that Ford mechanics use something called Forscan when I take my car in for expensive diagnostics, so I started googling whether it was possible to find something that duplicates their functionality for myself at home. Which led me to their homepage.

I've read up a lot on there and from what I can tell, the android version is essentially "read only" while the windows version allows you to actually make changes. Is that correct?

And though there are recommended adapters, they don't seem to fully rule out the possibility that my cheap ELM27 will work, can anyone comment on that?

I see that if I want to use the Windows version, there are two recommended adapters, Vgate vLinker FS, and the OBDLink MX+. Aside from the obvious (one being wired, one being bluetooth), what other benefits are there to spending considerably more money on the OBDLink MX+?

Is this the actual software that actual ford techs use at dealerships, or is it a sort of "bootleg" version of it?

It looks like all I have to do is buy an adapter for $35-$150, download the software and get a $19 extended licence and I'll be as functional as a ford tech at the dealership. Is that true? It just seems to good to be true, what am I missing here?

Lastly, assuming that is all true, I have the clicking mirrors problem that is described in TSB SSM47835. I believe that with Forscan, I'll have the ability to fix this myself. But I wouldn't know where to begin. There's new software or firmware that I have to flash to the module, but, like... where do I get that?

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Dealers use FDRS, Not Forscan. Forscan has limited ability to flash/update modules and is written and supported by a 3rd party. They happen to be Russian, but a top notch group, and are just as upset about the invasion of Ukraine as most of us are...just a tidbit of info.

FDRS is a Ford product, it is expensive, and requires a fairly expensive adapter like the Mongoose brand cable.

FORSCAN does not support the Elm327 based devices anymore, and they haven't been recommended for YEARS.

I recommend the OBDLINK brand connection devices for use with FORSCAN, either the MX+(BT LE) or the EX(USB). You can do limited procedures but no coding from the mobile app with any adapter. You need the Windows based program for coding. Check out the first post in this thread for some basic info.

Also FYI this thread is more for the 2015-2017 Expeditions(Late Gen3), your 2018 is a Gen4.

seventieslord

Reaction score
The Dealers use FDRS, Not Forscan. Forscan has limited ability to flash/update modules and is written and supported by a 3rd party. They happen to be Russian, but a top notch group, and are just as upset about the invasion of Ukraine as most of us are...just a tidbit of info.

FDRS is a Ford product, it is expensive, and requires a fairly expensive adapter like the Mongoose brand cable.

FORSCAN does not support the Elm327 based devices anymore, and they haven't been recommended for YEARS.

I recommend the OBDLINK brand connection devices for use with FORSCAN, either the MX+(BT LE) or the EX(USB). You can do limited procedures but no coding from the mobile app with any adapter. You need the Windows based program for coding. Check out the first post in this thread for some basic info.

Also FYI this thread is more for the 2015-2017 Expeditions(Late Gen3), your 2018 is a Gen4.
Thank you. I believe I've found the correct thread further down this page, and I'll ask my questions in there now

Kevin 16587

Reaction score
Anybody ( @LokiWolf ) have experience deleting and programming Intelligent key fobs with push button ignition? I only got one factory key when I recently purchased my 2017 Limited used. I bought a couple of cheap Amazon key fobs and attempted to program them using the PATS programming. I understand it is a relatively new feature in version 2.3.56 of FORScan. The new keys do not work and now I've reached my limit of 4 keys. Lesson learned, and I now have two factory OEM key fobs on the way. I'm thinking I will need to delete all 4 programmed keys and start over, but I can't find any write ups or how to's. I've read through 95% of this thread and can't find any information on this. I'm reluctant to delete my one working factory key, but I'd also like to have more than one.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anybody ( @LokiWolf ) have experience deleting and programming Intelligent key fobs with push button ignition? I only got one factory key when I recently purchased my 2017 Limited used. I bought a couple of cheap Amazon key fobs and attempted to program them using the PATS programming. I understand it is a relatively new feature in version 2.3.56 of FORScan. The new keys do not work and now I've reached my limit of 4 keys. Lesson learned, and I now have two factory OEM key fobs on the way. I'm thinking I will need to delete all 4 programmed keys and start over, but I can't find any write ups or how to's. I've read through 95% of this thread and can't find any information on this. I'm reluctant to delete my one working factory key, but I'd also like to have more than one.
Sorry for the delayed response! I don't get on as often as I used to. Any luck?

I have added keys, but all when I already had 2 working factory keys. Sadly, you might need a dealer to accomplish this with FDRS.

ESG406

Reaction score
Want to add auto hi/lo beam control (similar to my 2021 F150 Powerboost) to my 2015 EXP EL. Best way? Suggestions.
Thanks,
Ed

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Want to add auto hi/lo beam control (similar to my 2021 F150 Powerboost) to my 2015 EXP EL. Best way? Suggestions.
Thanks,
Ed
What trim do you have? If you don't have the option in your menu, you don't most likely have the hardware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank1971