Francis Scott Key Bridge in the fog

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jeff kushner, Jan 9, 2020.

1. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

The pic could certainly be better but this was part of the view of the bridge a few days ago on Saturday at 2 in the afternoon. The fog bank rolled in and by the time I got on the bridge, it was tight to the bottom the structure like there was a horizontal line.....and like the view out of an airplane above a cloud!

This has been edited & zoomed in 150% but it looked like a prehistoric creature as we drove onto it....apparently everyone else was feeling it because they slowed way down below "normal".....either that or the stuff Maryland sells is better than I thought!

It was really cool because the fog was so flat on top.
    Reminded me of the bird enclosures in one of the Jurassic park movies...lol.

Yeah the pics suck but I wouldn't have even tried it if there had been traffic! Geez, I hit too many things to have taken that chance.

jeff

SK bridge r1.jpg

20200104_143234.jpg

2. 99WhiteC5Coupe

99WhiteC5Coupe Full Access Members

I have driven over the New River Bridge in West Virginia in the early morning, in the Fall. It is the third highest span bridge in the USA, and is 876 feet above the river. It is one of the longest span bridges in the world.

The fog fills the river valley below, and the fog reaches the sides of the bridge, even with the decking. You feel as though you are driving in a cloud.

I also commute 5-days a week in the morning through a river valley, alongside a river. The fog is often extremely heavy in the Spring and Fall, and can completely blanket the roadway, until you drive in elevation and out of the fog into full sun. Traffic on the 55 mph state route often slows to 5-10 mph, as the fog is so thick. It is also an eery feeling.

3. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

Man, I do not envy you having to drive that often in bad fog. I've driven that bridge, twice when I got off at the wrong exit, drove nearly 50 miles the wrong way. When I found out, I turned around and went back at hyperspeeds.....120-130 in my little car. Those roads are nice at speed(paid for it too on a separate trip)! It's very tall.....in other words, it's going to be a long trip down if you go off! When Kerry and I were in PA over the holidays, we hit fog one night that was real bad, 20 feet max....it was scary thick.

Be careful brother....it's not normal to drive when you can't see. I know you do if halfway by your senses, your gut feeling..... but still, be careful!

jeff

4. IIGood

IIGood Member

...isn't that normal, everyday "fog" given the area? ;)

5. MrSticker

MrSticker Full Access Members

The New River Bridge is very cool. Its worth driving under it and across the river and back up to the other side. Although I wouldn't try it in the Fog. That was the only way through before 1977 and the road is still open. The New River … is the second oldest river in the world.
    IMG_0652.JPG