Fridge replacement time......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jeff kushner, Jun 12, 2018.

1. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

FWIW: I installed a R.O. system which lowers pressures substantially on top of my well water pressures and I'm enjoying delicious water from a well that tastes so bad that I buy bottled water!

I measured my output pressure and it varies but it's around 15-18psi. I bought a Permeate pump and will see if that helps. My IM fills a 12 oz glass to the brim in 19-20 seconds now so hopefully, the pump which uses wastes water to "power" it, will improve it a bit but it's not apparently lower than anyone elses IM I've used.

Mounted this $135 replica (Olympic on Amazon)of the 350 dollar RO systems....it uses identical RO membrane and my other filters are longer yet same price. I set it on a shelf in my walk-in closet that houses an unused Guy Grey box for a washer/dryer on the same wall my fridge backs to. Ran the supply, drain and ran through the wall with a sleeve and chrome escutcheon.

jeff

RO system installed.jpg

2. gixer2000

gixer2000 Retrofit or Bust Supporting Member

Ive been in the hvac/refrigeration business for a long time and the new appliances don't last like the old ones do. Best part is that the refrigeration components usually don't fail but the electronics do very often. If you buy a new fridge BUY THE LONGEST WARRANTY THEY OFFER! The electronics can be difficult to troubleshoot and most are pretty expensive.

Keep the Amana in the basement/garage/shed or trunk of the expedition because with a new fridge I'll promise you need a backup sooner than later.

jeff kushner likes this.
  3. Adieu

Adieu Full Access Members

Try 3-5 years

Been trying to surgically operate - again! - on a recent high-end mid-2010's Whirlpool that freezes everything solid regardless of settings just this weekend -- while keeping anything that we dom't want frozen in a 90's budget "Estate by Whirlpool Corporation" that actually works

What a piece of "planned obsolescence" built-to-fail crap

4. Adieu

"Buy American", they said...well, DON'T.

No amount of patriotism or support for local industries or your fellow hard-working citizens excuses THIS.

20181207_133945.jpg

And no there AIN'T no alternate shelf mount that lets you set it up so it fits. Wtf kinda idiot lays out a fridge with shelves an inch too short to fit the most goddamn standard grocery store staple imaginable????

PS it's a higher-end side-by-side Whirlpool that's full of fail and endless glitches and malfunctions

Voting with your wallet to keep moronic undead companies on life support for another day just distorts the market and keeps them churning out more useless junk that doesn't do what it's supposed to.

Trainmaster likes this.
  5. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

Tell us how you really feel about that fridge.

Funny you mention this. I just changed the motor in my 44-year-old GE clothes dryer. The "universal replacement" is Chinese 1/10 HP. I bought a used original GE motor on Ebay for $25. It's 1/3 HP and should last at least another fifteen years. Raised five kids with this dryer, using it five days a week for thirty years.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  6. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Full Access Members

The appliances are universally garbage whether domestic or foreign. You name it it sucks, even the super expensive appliances for luxury homes are cheaply made.

jeff kushner, Adieu and ManUpOrShutUp like this.
  7. Adieu

Living in Europe a few years back, I had a German-made fridge from a company that also makes heavy duty construction and mining type vehicles....

Better. Although....it DID once turn off completely and totally rot when I was away for a couple weeks. Black mold everywhere, yum. Then again, might have been the power company and a long outage?

But... on the bright side, it did have a quick-freeze button that dropped freezer temps, HARD, and got beer perfect-cold in like 15 minutes.

Germans, figures. Lol

8. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

It's interesting that everyone's comments agree on this! We all know that today's appliances are "planned obsolescence" (we first heard this term with the Chevy Vega, right?) and don't last.

We can take little steps that can help...like treating the seals(we never did with the old ones) or cleaning the evap coil(s) and temp sensors to keep the refrigerant operating as designed but other than that, it's a total crapshoot.

This situation is pure BS because every item we buy, works better for longer than the item it replaced.....with the sole exception of appliances.

The unit I bought is French door so storing a gallon of milk & half gallon of cream on the same shelf on the door means my 2 liters have plenty of room on the interior adjustable shelves. I do understand the pain and having a fridge you can't configure to your liking. It was to this end that I spent so long deciding what I wanted.

I did happen to measure with a calibrated temp probe from work and at 37F, I am w/i .6F everywhere inside the unit w/ the meat cooler being right at 37.

The freezer is set to 0F and it's on the money............so far?

jeff