Front AC blower not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Gouch

Reaction score
I've seen many posts from people whose front AC blower would stop occasionally. My wife would kick the wires under the glove compartment and it would start again. It finally failed altogether. Following the advice from other owners, I replaced the blower motor resistor. That didn't help. I replaced a 40-amp fuse in the power distribution box under the hood and a 10-amp fuse in the panel under the glove compartment. I also replaced a blower motor relay in the power distribution box. I bought a new blower motor. I plugged in the wires, but I didn't install it yet (It's in a tough-to-reach spot). The new one doesn't work either. What should I try next?

Plati

Reaction score
Not being critical of your efforts, but I think you are trying to repair by replacing parts first. This is what a bad repair shop does and it can be expensive and even lead to multiple new problems. I know from personal experience. The best way to repair is to diagnose the problem with evidence of the failure. Then replace or repair the known bad parts. Unfortunately to do this you have to know what all the associated parts are and how they work individually and together. It could just be a loose terminal in a connector or a wire that broke.

Hope this helps.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The weak point on these systems is the resistor connector, though they usually present themselves when you try to unplug them. The clue that kicking the wires further points to this problem. Unplug it and check it out for continuity.

Check all the connectors for the heating system while you're at it.

Replacement connectors are available. They usually come with crimp connectors, but it's better to solder the wires and shrink-wrap them so you know the splice will carry the full load without heating.

Unfortunately, even the manual heater on the XLT utilizes computer circuitry, which can always be suspect, but the "kick wires" clue tends to eliminate that nightmare.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Which climate control system does your Expy have? They have manual or the fancy EATC.

OP
OP
J

John Gouch

Reaction score
Thanks all. I'll be checking connections to see if I can find the problem. I have the automatic temperature control.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The ATC is a horse of a different color. I'm sure there's a diagnostic routine and probably a keyboard command that will run diagnostics on that unit's control to determine when it's commanding the fan on and off. Combined with a test light on the motor leads, you should be able to narrow down the problem.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here you go, have some fun. The blower motor is controlled by a module and is on a 40amp circuit. I would suspect poor connections and undersized wiring first.

Attachments

• EATC.1.pdf
    191.1 KB · Views: 208
  • EATC.2.pdf
    242.4 KB · Views: 166
  • EATC.3.pdf
    185.8 KB · Views: 139
  • EATC.4.pdf
    166.5 KB · Views: 131
  • EATC.5.pdf
    195.7 KB · Views: 139

Eric W Schweiss

Reaction score
I agree with connection problem. I bought a used 2017 expy from carmax and had no front blower. They sent it back to the dealer and I wanted to know exactly what was found. I was told the 40 amp fuse had a bad connection and was reset with dielectric grease, that was it, has worked fine since.