front air conditioner not working properly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadow114

Reaction score
I am having a problem with my 98 Expy. The front vents do not blow out cold air when the air is on. It is almost like it is heat coming out. The rear air works fine, it gets nice and cool. I was going to recharge the freon, but I tested it with a gauge and it was allready at the proper level. Any help would be appreciated.
Ron

ExpyBob

Reaction score
This sounds like the dreaded blend door problem.

The blend door for the cold and hot air may be stuck because the shaft is broken. Very frequent problem as the vehicle ages.

You may want to search on it here and at other sites.

Bob

OP
OP
S

shadow114

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Bob. I was reading on here before I posted and things were a little different. I was afraid of it being the blend door from what I read. Can you tell me how hard of a job it is? I do some work myself, but if it is going to be a long complicated job, I may have to take it somewhere. Also, I didn't see it in the book as far as HOW to do it.

Thanks again,
Ron

OP
OP
S

shadow114

Reaction score
Sorry Bob, but I can't get to that link for some reason. I even just became a member of that site, but I cant get anything. Just says sorry - no matches. Please try some diff. terms.
Ron

OP
OP
S

shadow114

Reaction score
Thanks Bob. I actually found it earlier. I found out a bunch of things. First of all, I guess it would be about $1000 for the dealer to do it. I read from some people who have done it......about 11 hours. But, as I kept reading, I found this post by aerocolorado:

I have yet to affect these repairs but thought I would post something I found in the meantime. During a recent trip I discovered that if I just slowly and repeatedly "nudge" the temp control knob I can get the blend door to move from cold to hot and vice versa. I can "feel" a resistance through the knob and as long as I did not move the knob past the resistance point, the blend door would move. It takes maybe 2-3 minutes of repetitive nudging to go from one extreme to the other but when I think of how many hours it takes to change out that door, this seems a small price to pay.

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!! The air is cold now. Works excellent. Thank you Bob for your guidance.

Ron

coryrhonda

Reaction score
sounds like just the control is bad. easy fix much cheaper. I've done about 7 or 8 of the blend doors, if the shaft is broke you won't get it to move usually, but I have seen the control broke the way you describe

OP
OP
S

shadow114

Reaction score
Really? Do you have to take the dash off or is it easy? If it is easy I may try it. If it is easy could you tell me how? Thanks a lot.
Ron

coryrhonda

Reaction score
without one in front of me you should be able to do it. The trim that goes around it I believe just pulls off with friction spring clips holding it and a couple (4?) 7mm (9/32")screws holdint the controle to the dash and some connections on the back

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker