front bearings/hubs; any brands to avoid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure how my thread devolved into this sort of conversation and despite my better judgement I'll continue to respond.

I'm not acting like advice for the future is going to kill me. I started this thread specifically looking for future advice. I came to update with my results and your opinion essentially indicates I spent too much money on the wrong part and then somehow completed the job wrong while also suggesting I should buy wd40 in bulk. Its hard to take advice seriously when it seems to come off as an attack/insult; even if that wasn't your intent.

I'm all for taking advice from those with specific experience which is why I'm here. Not sure how I would know anything about your particular experience and I'm not sure why you would guess at how much or little experience I have compared to you. I didn't see any specific suggestion from you other than the implication that OEM parts are a waste. Have you changed out the rear hub on your navigator or were you just suggesting general procedures?

I can see how applying penetrating oil and coming back the next day would work; and have certainly done the same on plenty of jobs in the past. Doesn't mean it saved any time nor does it mean it really needed to sit for 12-24 hours as maybe 1 or 2 hours would suffice as it did in my driveway this time. My time is worth more than another can of any penetrating oil even if its being wasted and over applied, and I'd rather not be without my vehicle for a full day if I can avoid it.

Your suggestion implied that the way I completed the job would not work ("What does work is to wrap a small rag around the part and soak it overnight"). Obviously what I did worked. So sure maybe I will try wrapping a rag around a smaller part that needs penetrating oil in the future, and I thank you for that suggestion. But I still dont believe that would have been much help in this particular situation. There is always more than one way to skin a cat even if experts will only approach the job in one singular way.
Again, sorry I tried to help you. I had this same type response in my last forum from certain members……...whatever.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of us come off a little harsh at times.
Usually it is because we have done it a few or many times and figured out the easiest/fastest/best way of doing it and when someone seems to insist on doing it thier way, the newbie, way, or the by the book way...we just shake our heads. Lol

You would be amazed the damn near argument I got into with a lady on mytractorforum.com trying to help her with a carb on a JD.
She admitted she had never done this before but she wasn't into any suggestion or way she had not vetted or deemed correct!
I think she had a big chip on her shoulder as we didn't know she was a she UNTIL she made SURE to tell us all.

Made do difference to me as I thought it was a man and certainly would be no MORE harsh to a lady.
She YELLED at me in posts after I told here more than once that the solenoid on bottom of carb didn't need to be there to run properly and explained what its intended function is and that even when working properly it often does no accomplish this intended function.

She insisted in doing it here way. ordered a JD carb for over $100 and months later posted back that she gave up on it and sold it and moved on to another one......SMDH!!!!

I would have had it up an running in 3 minutes tops for $0 but and I know it as I have done it 100s of times.
Some people are not open to out of the box or many alternative ideas.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of us come off a little harsh at times.
Usually it is because we have done it a few or many times and figured out the easiest/fastest/best way of doing it and when someone seems to insist on doing it thier way, the newbie, way, or the by the book way...we just shake our heads. Lol

You would be amazed the damn near argument I got into with a lady on mytractorforum.com trying to help her with a carb on a JD.
She admitted she had never done this before but she wasn't into any suggestion or way she had not vetted or deemed correct!
I think she had a big chip on her shoulder as we didn't know she was a she UNTIL she made SURE to tell us all.

Made do difference to me as I thought it was a man and certainly would be no MORE harsh to a lady.
She YELLED at me in posts after I told here more than once that the solenoid on bottom of carb didn't need to be there to run properly and explained what its intended function is and that even when working properly it often does no accomplish this intended function.

She insisted in doing it here way. ordered a JD carb for over $100 and months later posted back that she gave up on it and sold it and moved on to another one......SMDH!!!!

I would have had it up an running in 3 minutes tops for $0 but and I know it as I have done it 100s of times.
Some people are not open to out of the box or many alternative ideas.
Me, harsh at times? I admit I shouldn't have told Fishes he was blowing money on OEM parts because some people think it is the way to go but obviously I hate spending money on that. Not my money...…...I don't care.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Me, harsh at times? I admit I shouldn't have told Fishes he was blowing money on OEM parts because some people think it is the way to go but obviously I hate spending money that. Not my money...…...I don't care.
I actually do care. If enough people would stop buying these OEM or overpriced parts then they would lower the price. They rarely pay any more for the parts or at least not an appropriate personal amount to the market they charge because they get to live off the brand name reputation.
I get into this all the time on Facebook because everyone seems to have a mission or it causes support in this world and I never really give a rat's ass about those. What I choose to focus on and the way I want to change the world is to stop companies from putting fewer cookies in the bag or making the rolls of toilet paper a little bit smaller to save money. I want to eliminate almost all money going to these repair shops because they charge far far too much. They don't just cover their expenses and make an appropriate salary. I have had inside info with a good number of shops or chains of shops in the area and the owners, who did no actual mechanical work whatsoever, we're making a ton of annual salary from their shops. Now I know one guy who literally has a 2-bay shop and has for 30 years who occasionally has one person they're working to help him out. He does every bit of the work and stays as busy as he wants to be. He makes a modest living but he's not living and a $700,000 home like these other guys. Now this is in Southwest Ohio where you can buy a nice house for 120 to 175000. You're in one of the nicer neighborhoods or areas when you start getting into the 200 the $300,000 range. These guys are making mint. I have to qualify that because in some areas $400,000 is barely a modest house and I barely decent area.

RobE

Reaction score
I found my front driver side wheel bearing had play in it when I was rotating my tires. My 2012 had 167k miles on it. I purchased a Detroit Axle wheel bearing from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJGL8CN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) $89 .vs Motorcraft which is $200+. I was impressed with the quality of the component and it came with the correct speed sensor harness and the wire clips for securing it to the chassis. No indication of the country of manufacture on the box so I assume it was made overseas. Time will tell if it lasts, but with 167k on my Expedition, if it lasts 100k, I will have gotten value from it. Update: I have almost 10k miles on the wheel bearing with no problems.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found my front driver side wheel bearing had play in it when I was rotating my tires. My 2012 had 167k miles on it. I purchased a Detroit Axle wheel bearing from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJGL8CN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) $89 .vs Motorcraft which is $200+. I was impressed with the quality of the component and it came with the correct speed sensor harness and the wire clips for securing it to the chassis. No indication of the country of manufacture on the box so I assume it was made overseas. Time will tell if it lasts, but with 167k on my Expedition, if it lasts 100k, I will have gotten value from it. Update: I have almost 10k miles on the wheel bearing with no problems.
I highly doubt any of these bearings will last 100k.. These hub assemblies just don't last that long anymore.
And it will be a good number of years until people realize they're just over paying for inferior quality. Be lucky to get 50000- 75000 out of these things and it doesn't seem too much difference whether you buy a $36 eBay one or $129.