Front end annoying clunking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well so far, all that has been spent was on things that were worn out and needing replacing anyway. And yes I have checked and or replaced (due to wear) all that has been mentioned. Though I have not done any checking on the torsion bars yet. In all the trucks I have owned over the years, I just have never seen one that had any issues with torsion bars.

I did not start down this path due to this odd clunking noise, it started with the air suspension failing and while doing that went ahead and brought the suspension back up to spec. The clunking was also there, BUT was not there when I bought the thing. I figured while fixing everything else, I would try and also solve the clunk, but so far no luck finding its source.

:think:

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
All new due to an air ride to coilover conversion. But yes checked several times since.

As for torsion bars, I dont think a 2006 has them does it? FSM sure doesnt list them.

:think:...and yes, very annoying.

bowman1268

Reaction score
mkc I feel ya

Mine is doing the same thing only things left I havn't replaced are torsion bars.I hate the fact that I will be driving around and it is riding perfect and quite.I get my hopes up that it is fixed then bam I hit a bump or turn just right and clunk then may not do it again or may not and no matter how many bumps I hit on purpose I can never make it do it when I want it to.I have ocd so I am actually loosing sleep over this stupidness.

ogre20012001

Reaction score
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is wheel bearings.
I had a set go bad but never got loose. They just made noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Wheel bearings on a 2006 reside within a sealed hub assembly. Have to look back and see if I posted that or not, but yes replaced the hub assembly on the side making the noise. Still to this day does it, still cant find the cause.

akosundalo98

Reaction score
I have the same issue in a 2000 when I take out the front drive shaft it goes away. I have tried 2 new driveshafts to no avail put driveshaft back in noise comes back so for now I have a 2wd. I was think front rear but no clue

jeremiahm

Reaction score
I have a clunk in the same general area when going over bumpy terrain, potholes, etc. Haven't had a chance to check all the nuts and bolts but when putting a level kit in the front I noticed that my steering rod from the rack unit to the driver side TRE has movement at the rack, not the TRE. Pulled the TRE and I can push/pull the rod in and out just a tiny bit, and it makes a small clunk that I think translates to a big clunk when driving. I did the same on the passanger side and it is tight, no movement. Don't know if this can be adjusted, but worth a shot.

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Its been a while since I've worried about this much. However any new input is greatly appreciated. I do recall checking all of that, but next time I have it up on the lift will sure check that part again.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a noise I couldn't pin down. This was on a fully rebuilt front end including rack and steering shaft. I greased the slip joint in the front driveshaft and greased the steering shaft slip joint and the connections to the steering column and to the rack shaft. Also lifted the small plastic cover the rack shaft comes out of and packed that with grease. I used wheel bearing grease for everything. For the first time the exp is 100% noise free. Also have less vibration coming through the steering wheel on rough roads. Chevy truck owners have been greasing the slip joint on the steering shaft for years, but for some reason no one has suggested it on any Ford forum that I've seen.