Front end annoying clunking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another thought, worn out front axle bearings can make noise (knock noise). I just did mine and they were easy, I replaced the seals while I had it apart because they were leaking. I think I remember reading that you replaced sway bar links, but my $30/ea Raybestos pro grade greasable links were done at 2,000 miles. Can't be checked accurately until you pull them from the car. Something to think about.

bowman1268

Reaction score
Sorry I thought I posted a update.Mine ended up being a bolt that was not torqued down properly when I had my upper control arms replaced.It took a few months for the bolt to work loose a bit and cause the intermittent noise.

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Yes my bearings were also done, stabilizer links I used Moog and yes have pulled them more than once for inspection just to be sure. Every bolt on the entire front end has been double checked for proper torque several times. Still doing it to date. Have for the most part given up chasing this ghost.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be interested to hear the noise maybe on a video. The previous owner of mine didn't do a thing so I've had to go through everything on this car plus some and figured out a lot that's specific to expeditions.

Norexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had a clunking sound from front end for a while. Changed upper and lower control arms, outer tie rods, stabilizer bar bushings, stabilizer links, hubs and alignment two times. Inner tie rods are fine.

Last inspection said I have play in steering rack, and for sure there is where the sound is coming from.

I removed steering shaft, cleaned and lubricated it, and when I wiggle the shaft while disconnected at top, I can hear the sound.

Rack and pinion can be adjusted, but space is tight. i will try to tighten it one day, to get rid of play and sound.

Might be the same problem you have.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had a clunking sound from front end for a while. Changed upper and lower control arms, outer tie rods, stabilizer bar bushings, stabilizer links, hubs and alignment two times. Inner tie rods are fine.

Last inspection said I have play in steering rack, and for sure there is where the sound is coming from.

I removed steering shaft, cleaned and lubricated it, and when I wiggle the shaft while disconnected at top, I can hear the sound.

Rack and pinion can be adjusted, but space is tight. i will try to tighten it one day, to get rid of play and sound.

Might be the same problem you have.

How do you adjust the steering rack on a second gen expedition?

Norexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a locking nut in front of the pinion, right in front of cross member. Loosen lock nut, and CAREFULLY tighten nut inside. Maybe just 1/8 turn. Too much and steering will be stiff, and might loose self centering.

Space is tight behind cross member, so might need to loosen outer tie rods and steering rack bolts, to gain access. I havent done it yet, but I will do when I have spare time.

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Ive tried to check the steering rack for any slack, but have not disconnected it to try that way. May give it a try next time I have it up on the lift.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting about the steering rack adjustment. There's something like 150 pages about the racks knocking on an f150 forum and the concensus is that they could not be adjusted. I took a look under mine and I see what you mean though. probably don't even need to remove the wheels or tie rods to access the adjustment, just remove bolts holding the rack to frame and slide it back just enough.

At this point why not buy chassis ears and get this problem solved?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357