Front End Clunk, and Have you Tried Duralast Upper Control Arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 04 4x4 with 150k miles has a front-end clunk that I originally thought was jacked lower ball joints. I replaced them recently. They were completely trashed. But the clunk is still there. Not noticeable onroad. very noticable offroad, which is what I use my Exp for mostly.
After checking and double checking, the only thing I found in the front end is a little play in the upper ball joint on the passenger side. And the only way I was able to detect it is squeezing it with channel locks. Maybe 1/32 inch of play, not alot. Doesnt seem to match the magnitude of the clunk I am having, but maybe it doesn't take much?
Bearings, tie rods, shocks, coils, coil mounts all appear good. I retorqued all front end connections to Ford specs.
I found no play in the sway bar links but it seems hard to get a good read on those - the sway bar has tension regardless of whether its flat on the ground (loaded) or jacked up by the frame (unloaded).
I normally am a Motorcraft guy, But I am considering buying Duralast (Autozone) Upper control arms for the lifetime warranty. I might beat up alot of UCAs offroading so the warranty might work out in this case. If they start to go **** up, they will start clunking long before leaving me somewhere (not like a coils or ignition parts).
Has anyone tried Duralast upper control arms, and/or have similar clunk issues? I can't say I am 100% sure the uppers are bad and don't like just firing a parts cannon to see what the fix is.
Thanks guys.

@Hamfisted @OverlandExpy

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not go with Moog products for the same type of warranty. I have been using them for years and they seem to be a better brand.

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Vincent Vega havent tried anything but the OEM uppers so far, but keep us posted on what you do!

What conditions does the clunk happen in? When you're going over bumpy terrain? or when you're on the brakes?

OP
OP
Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Vincent Vega havent tried anything but the OEM uppers so far, but keep us posted on what you do!

What conditions does the clunk happen in? When you're going over bumpy terrain? or when you're on the brakes?
@OverlandExpy I ended up buying Napa UCAs and Motorcraft sway bar end links. I could not find the RH UCA from Motorcraft, so I went with Napa because the price was fine and Napa usually is the best of aftermarket stuff.
The problem ended up being the RH UCA. Before I started working on it Saturday, I did another front end check. I wiggled the tire a couple times and suddenly I noticed the UCA was all over the place. One of the bushings was toast. Both bushings looked fine visually but just that little bit of play made it clunk so bad it made it sound like my whole front end was coming apart.
The sway bar end links were fine but I replaced them anyway. What a PIA though. The top mount where it connects w the sway bar was stuck on there and I had to use a balljoint press to separate it. And when installing the new one, the bottom mount (where it bolts to the LCA) just kept spinning as I tried to tighten it, even with an impact. Had to use an offset wrench (I never use those) to hold the 18 mm nut to keep it from spinning.
Front end feels good as new!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK