front end noise when going straight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JS CO

Reaction score
Hi folks --
I have a new issue with my 2018 Expedition Max -- a phantom noise coming from the front end. It started pretty faintly a month or two ago. We don't typically drive it very much, but it was basically a low rumbly gear sound from what sounded like the left front. We took it in a couple weeks ago and they diagnosed a bad front left wheel bearing/hub (at 35,000 miles!) - they said they could hear a rough spot when they spun the hub. Several hundred dollars later, we picked it up and started driving. And I felt like I still heard some noise, but it didn't sound like it was coming from left front anymore.

So... we then left on a trip 700 miles from home, where we are now, and the sound has gotten way worse. Now, the sound is pretty loud when going straight or turning slowly to the right, but not when turning to the left. It sounds kind of like the car does when you gear down going down hill, but much louder.

Anybody want to share any advice? Should we stop driving it and get it seen ASAP? Did the mechanic (who I generally trust) mess something up? Could this be a CV joint instead?

Anybody care to recommend a mechanic in St. George, UT?

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you mentioned CV joint, I assume you have a 4wd.

A common issue with the vacuum actuated front hubs is that they lose vacuum and get partially engaged/disengaged which leads to quite noisy rubbing and damage to the CV splines and hub.

You can check by putting the vehicle in 4A, if noise disappears then the IWE system is to blame.

Ford issued a TSB on early models where a check valve in the vacuum system would fail and cause this partial engagement.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I echo that (IWE). After I bought my 2019 with 30K miles on it, I had the same thing as the OP stated. Ford Dealer diagnosed it as bad IWE & put in a new 1 under warranty. Has been rumble/noise free ever since. @JS CO get it looked or replaced. Best of luck!

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s probably the other hub. Just went through the same on ours. Dealer changed one side but it was actually the other one. As long as the sound is the same in 2wd and 4wd it’s the hub.

OP
OP
J

JS CO

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks all for your advice. Should hub also be covered by warranty?

What do folks think about driving on it to get it seen someplace else? The dealer here in St. George (700 miles from home) could not get me in to even look at it until a week from now, so I'm debating driving to Vegas (2 hours away) to get it looked at, IF I can get an appointment there?

OP
OP
J

JS CO

Reaction score
Oh, and yes, sound is the same in 4wd or 2wd. That was one of my initial thoughts with the noise is that it sounded like maybe it was stuck in 4wd. And now it sounds like maybe it's been partially engaging and damaging other stuff. Wonderful.

RubyredExpe

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. My 2018 had both front bearings replaced at ~50,000 miles. Only 1 was making the noise but they said the other sounded bad. All covered under the factory powertrain warranty. $0 out of pocket with a free rental car.

OP
OP
J

JS CO

Reaction score
Too bad I already paid a pile for replacing the one bearing out of pocket, assuming warranty would not cover it after it didn't cover the brake rotors going at 20k miles. I think I've decided to just drive it home and deal with it there, buy myself whatever santo goes with bearings and CV joints and hang it off the rearview and see how we do.

RickExpy

Reaction score
Got mine back yesterday for the same symptoms, wheel bearings on both sides replaced and IWE also. The repair was covered on the extended warranty except an alignment was needed and not covered. $140. I said wait a minute, I didn't need an alignment when I brought it in and I only needed it after you performed a warranty repair so it should be covered on the warranty, and they finally agreed. Gotta fight em for everything. They've got no vehicles on the lot to sell so they gotta make it up on repairs. Not on me, that extended warranty covered it.