Front end noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black dog

Reaction score
OK I’m hoping there’s somebody good smart out there that can help me with this issue. I have a 99 expedition when I got it and put the new tires on it. All of a sudden when making a tight turn into a parking spot it popped and acted like my old truck in four high. I took it to my mechanic. After pulling and rebuilding the front axles and rebuilding the diff . It was re installed but it still does it. The shop that rebuilt the front diff said it was good but they believed it was the “ I believe “ the nylon belt in the transfer case!
That being said on dry dirt or pavement running straight it runs great. If you do a rolling stop turn and gas it it thunks and kinda hops like the old truck just not as bad.
But today a big snow here 8 to 10 inches of fresh snow. Heck it did it backing out and makes those sounds and thinks just driving straight thru the fresh snow. Not as bad on the packed snow but still even when going straight with no turning but turning in the deep or packed you almost have to crawl. The abs light is on. My mechanic says that would not do it. But in driving it it feels like it it has more to do with the all wheel 4wd or heck I just don’t know! Any ideas!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have the vehicle scanned for ABS codes - many aftermarket scanners will not retrieve them.

The noise could be a variety of things - loose or worn out suspension parts, loose brake caliper, loose brake pad(s), worn out drive shaft joint, transmission mount, etc.

Did you install the OEM size tires? Are the rims the correct OEM size?

It does not sound as though your mechanic is competent, but finding the source will take a careful inspection of all the components while on a lift.