Front end thunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black dog

Reaction score
Not sure where to go with this post. Here is my issue. When I’m driving on dirt or dry roads all works relatively fine. But if you slow down to rolling stop as you turn it sounds like gears slipping or a thunking sound in front which ever way you turn. Today I noticed driving with driver side tires on dry road and passenger side pushing mud. The passenger side started the same thunking. So I switched now passenger was dry and driver muddy. Now the driver side began to thunk. Any ideas?

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read your other post and was wondering does your truck seem like it automatically jumps in to four-wheel-drive high mode while you’re turning?

podsquad

Reaction score
I would make sure your 4WD switch is functioning in all the modes when you have the truck in park or neutral(brake applied). Do you hear the engaging of the transfer motor? Note what lights are illuminated on the dash when you turn the 4wd switch(does it match the switch)? Are any lights blinking? Is the ABS light illuminated? It could be you have the switch in awd(automatic not 4Hi or low).....in auto awd the wheels are reading a speed difference(between the front wheels) and engage the 4wd system. Sometimes this could be caused by a 'bad' wheel hub or even a bad abs sensor....I have a 1998(original owner)....I have had this problem and others. Everything is easy to fix....you just need to understand how everything works. What Expd830 wrote above is exactly what you should be feeling when making turns when the 4wd is engaging on turns....and it's in automatic awd(selector knob) and the road conditions don't warrant for the 4wd to engage.

Last edited: