Front splash shield rusted off - Should I care?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my 2010 expedition started making a terrible grinding noise when rolling. I was able to track it to the front driver's side splash shield. It had rusted off and was trapped between the brakes and the wheel. I pulled it out but it is too far gone to put back in.

How important is the splash shield. Can I just sort of ignore this? Or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks in advance.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my 2010 expedition started making a terrible grinding noise when rolling. I was able to track it to the front driver's side splash shield. It had rusted off and was trapped between the brakes and the wheel. I pulled it out but it is too far gone to put back in.

How important is the splash shield. Can I just sort of ignore this? Or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks in advance.

I would replace it.

Ford put it there for a reason - perhaps to prevent the rotor from warping when hot, and deflecting water from it?

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would replace it.

Ford put it there for a reason - perhaps to prevent the rotor from warping when hot, and deflecting water from it?

It goes above the axle (mostly) on the in board side of the brakes. If it protects anything it's the motor.

Or maybe it's to prevent and oil leak from hitting the rotor?

Not sure. But this rusted out truck isn't getting ANY unnecessary work done to it. If it weren't for the parts shortage it would already be replaced.