Front Wheel Bearings - 2000 Eddie Bauer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFlyingDutchman

Reaction score
Hey, y'all.

I just need to know if the front wheel bearings on my truck are press or bolt on?

Thanks in advance. I hope to be on here a lot more here in the near future as my mechanic and I start getting some real work done The Flying Dutchman, my 2000 Eddie Bauer. :D

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
61aoiME1CeL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg Sometimes they are a bear to get out of the knuckle after the bolts are removed. I bought a tool on ebay to help me beat them out with a small sledge. It saved me a lot of grief.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The vid shows a 2wd.
most are 4x4 and it is a unitized hub assembly.
Pretty easy to so really.
Loosen large axle nut with tire still on ground, remove wheel, remove caliper and hang up out of way, remove rotor. Turn and look through the holes to see the large T60 I think or maybe it was a 13mm bolts. Finish removing axle nut, remove hub mounting bolts 3 I think.
Tap axle with mallet etc to start it moving, then bang the heck out of back of hub to knock it forward and out of the steering knuckle. It will be tight.
Slid it off of the axle shaft and clean it all up and reassemble.
There is a torque spec for the large nut when you are done but you prob won't have a torque wrench that will register that high.
Luckily as long as it is tight, it doesn't matter.
It is not a lousy design like GM FWD that the nut loads the bearing and can damage it.
All you are doing on a 1st gen is tightening the nut onto a steel spacer that bottoms against the axle rear ledge or landing.
If you went crazy and over tightened it you would probably strip the threads or crack the nut etc but being 40-50 ft lbs over is not going to damage or shorten life of bearing. UNLIKE GM.