Frozen/Stuck hood release. HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Davis

Reaction score
Hello all! This is a problem I've never run into before. After my truck ('02 2WD 5.4) sat for about 4 weeks, thru some rainy weather, and I went out to start it today. The battery is dead. No sweat, but when I try to open the hood, the interior release is FROZEN stuck! I tried pulling on the lever. Then, fearing I would destroy the lever, removed the bracket and detached the cable so I can pull on the cable directly with a pair of vice-grips. Still no luck. I have sprayed some PB Blaster (as best I could) down the opening where the cable enters the sheath, now I am waiting and hoping. The hood is locked CLOSED, so I cannot reach the other end of the cable. Does anyone have any helpful hints here? I would really hate to have it towed b/c I can't get the hood open! ;-(

Thank you in advance!

OP
OP
Chris Davis

Chris Davis

Reaction score
Well...golly Bob howdy! Thanks!! I'm hoping that with the "egg-crate" style grille I have, I can get the screwdriver in there to get the right angle. Thanks again!

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks stamp, interesting video. Now, I have a billet grill that does not provide the space as shown with the 150. I guess my solution is to remove the grill (?),
or keep the mechanism lubricated.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Once you get the thing open, remove the lock and clean it up. It generally rusts and the parts stop moving. There's a spring that loses its flexibility and needs replacement. When you get it apart, you'll see what I mean.

Plati

Reaction score
Another reason why Krown treatment ROCKS! First thing I noticed after getting the Krown treatment this spring was how the hood popped open. The latch mechanism, as well as hinges, etc. got fogged and when I popped the hood it flew open like I open a beer after completing a round trip hike to Mt. Marcy in August.

blackburb

Reaction score
Another thing to try is have someone push down on the hood then try pulling the release. Worked on mine and then lubed everything up. No problem since.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
To the new poster on this three year old thread:

Spray some WD40 or Kroil at the lever's pivot using the straw snout on the can. Wait a half hour and do it again. Work the latch back and forth a bit at a time spraying it. If you can get a needle-nose Vise-grip on it that will help with some leverage. If it doesn't cooperate, wait a day and do it more. It will free up eventually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpwiseman