Fuel avg MPG sux

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 22 cx9 won't avg even 23 mpg on the hwy and it's only 4500lbs.
Don't even bring that particular one up!! As you said, shocking that a much smaller car with an I 4 turbo engine performed that poorly on the highway, but remember it has just 6 speeds as opposed to 10 with the Expy which has really tall 9th and 10th gears for efficiency (we had a 2019 CX9 and I for the record never got to 22 mpg on any trip in 3 years regardless of how gently I tried to drive it to achieve a new record. ON the plus side though, I still got 18-19 constantly in City driving. I did love the car though)
Our 22 Expedition ltd AWD no tow pkg sits at 16.x for mixed driving currently, mostly city jaunts by my wife. Have reached 21 on the highway easily on regular fuel

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We like ours alot too, but I do miss having a fs suv.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Consistently drive 5 MPH under the speed limit where I travel and you quite literally will likely be shot or run off of the road.

I'll take the MPG hit.
I keep the trailer ball on my Expedition. Amazingly, people keep their distance.

Epic Dad

Reaction score
2019 limited stealth 22" wheels (not the MAX)

I do alot of stop and go type city driving and Im averaging 13.5 MPG. Is this normal? My 07 gas guzzling Navigator V8 averaged 12.5 in same conditions...I thought these v6 Ecoboost engines were good on gas comparably....plus the window sticker says it should be about 17 MPG City.... was I lied to or is something wrong with the engine possibly? What do you folk average in the city?
Don’t feel bad bro. I’m driving a lifted 2021 Max Platinum with 4X4 and not only are my tires bigger in diameter but width too. I’m getting 9.3 mpg city and that’s driving normal consistently, not like a teenager or anything.

brbrazzell

Reaction score
2019 limited stealth 22" wheels (not the MAX)

I do alot of stop and go type city driving and Im averaging 13.5 MPG. Is this normal? My 07 gas guzzling Navigator V8 averaged 12.5 in same conditions...I thought these v6 Ecoboost engines were good on gas comparably....plus the window sticker says it should be about 17 MPG City.... was I lied to or is something wrong with the engine possibly? What do you folk average in the city?
The mpg, horsepower and torque estimates Ford publishes are based on the regular Expedition 4x2 on premium fuel. The Stealth engine might be the same 3.5 Ecoboost as all the other 4th gen Expeditions, but it has higher horsepower and torque ratings. I imagine that is going to help provide lower fuel economy results, just as larger, heavier wheels and tires and a higher rear end gear ratio will. There has been a lot of great advise shared on this forum about how to properly maintain the Ecoboost engine, like regular fuel treatment, catch cans and using good quality synthetic oil. I think that all helps with engine efficiency as well. You're probably averaging a couple mpg lower than you should be considering you have higher engine output and higher gear ratio than the Expedition Ford uses to collect its mpg estimates. It's a great engine, but you can't treat it like the old 5.4 Triton. If you haven't been using any kind of fuel treatment so far, maybe a fuel system cleaning will help get your numbers up a little more?

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The mpg, horsepower and torque estimates Ford publishes are based on the regular Expedition 4x2 on premium fuel. The Stealth engine might be the same 3.5 Ecoboost as all the other 4th gen Expeditions, but it has higher horsepower and torque ratings. I imagine that is going to help provide lower fuel economy results, just as larger, heavier wheels and tires and a higher rear end gear ratio will. There has been a lot of great advice shared on this forum about how to properly maintain the Ecoboost engine, like regular fuel treatment, catch cans and using good quality synthetic oil. I think that all helps with engine efficiency as well. You're probably averaging a couple mpg lower than you should be considering you have higher engine output and higher gear ratio than the Expedition Ford uses to collect its mpg estimates. It's a great engine, but you can't treat it like the old 5.4 Triton. If you haven't been using any kind of fuel treatment so far, maybe a fuel system cleaning will help get your numbers up a little more?
This is not right at all.
Fuel economy postings have to be based on the engine sold per model and drivetrain configuration. Look up the various motors and drivetrains. They have different figures.
Also, the only “stealth” that has a different engine is the 2022, all others use the same engine as a base Limited model.

OP
OP
SyndicateZ

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its notmally blonde femalesthat tend to tailgate. Just my experiences. They also have heavy foot and speed alot
The mpg, horsepower and torque estimates Ford publishes are based on the regular Expedition 4x2 on premium fuel. The Stealth engine might be the same 3.5 Ecoboost as all the other 4th gen Expeditions, but it has higher horsepower and torque ratings. I imagine that is going to help provide lower fuel economy results, just as larger, heavier wheels and tires and a higher rear end gear ratio will. There has been a lot of great advise shared on this forum about how to properly maintain the Ecoboost engine, like regular fuel treatment, catch cans and using good quality synthetic oil. I think that all helps with engine efficiency as well. You're probably averaging a couple mpg lower than you should be considering you have higher engine output and higher gear ratio than the Expedition Ford uses to collect its mpg estimates. It's a great engine, but you can't treat it like the old 5.4 Triton. If you haven't been using any kind of fuel treatment so far, maybe a fuel system cleaning will help get your numbers up a little more?
You brought up many false statements.

brazilusa

Reaction score
So what does the "eco" stand for anyways in Ecoboost? cause im not impressed in the "gas saving" marketing if its getting pretty much same as my 07 navigator...
I was working with Ford and have some of the original materials when they started using the term. Really just marketing. The current marketing pitch is: EcoBoost engines combine three technologies—turbocharging, direct fuel injection and twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT)—for power and efficiency. I drive in Eco mode all the time - city 17.6 mpg and hwy 19 mpg. I try to get the best mileage. It rarely does the start/stop engine feature. I don't drive it every day, which may not allow the battery to sufficiently charge to use the start/stop feature.

nema100

Reaction score
Tires can make a negligible difference. Put some high-mpg tires (Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max) on my previous van, and got 27mpg on a flat highway granny trip one fine afternoon, which was 2mpg over the vehicle's stated highway mpg.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im in CA. Do city stuff, LA, SF, burbs etc. Heavy Tow pack standard length Platinum.

Long Idle time and doing the remote start in warm mornings ie unessary CA valley mornings will crush your mpg average. I swapped out the horrible OEM tires after 2yrs of sliding all over the place rain and Sierra snow. For the 2021 new BFG Trail Terrain stock 22 size. Its a hybrid highway/ AT 3peak rated tire. Mileage hit was probably .5mpg average over the low rolling resistance OEM tires. Massive improvement in wet and snow with nearly zero impact on mileage and pavement performance.

Super lousy city traffic 15-16mpg with eco mode which I typically only use in lousy crap traffic given it numbs the touchy throttle making it far easier to just creep along without looking like an over caffeinated Soccer mom late for her yoga session.

Typical mixed stuff in town kids sports shuttling and short freeway trips is a solid 16-18mpg typical average. Normal mode vs eco is about 1mpg difference typically in the mixed use stuff. First three yrs ran 87 and was ECO mode use most of the time. Last yr I switched to 91 and got lazy on the Eco mode use except in traffic. And again my typical crappy mixed city and highway is 16-18mpg. My Sequoia same exact use was 13mpg all day every day. Highway was 15mpg with a tail wind in the Sequoia

Summer Tahoe trips with roof box and 4x6 trailer hauling bikes and boats 15mpg tow mode, trailer in tall mode is more of a aero drag than a weight thing, 1800lb for that tiny thing. In clean low side mode the trailer doesn’t impact mileage at all when run in normal non tow mode.

SF to SD trip last spring break week long trip no roof box, we did the I5 23mpg both ways and 18 in socal.

This summer SunRiver Oregon with 4 bikes on vertical hitch rack with roof box. 19mpg up and back.

Towing the Grady White we share with a friend is in the 13-14mpg range.

All that said…
I spent a week driving around in angry Karen Sport mode and had a 12mpg average . If your running drag strip races every stop light and doing the driveway warm up in mildly morning frost you can easily be running 13mpg averages.

Heavy snow Tahoe trips with daily haul to the ski resort after a driveway remote start was a 15mpg week.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357