1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Milage

Discussion in '2nd Gen - 2003 - 2006' started by R W Carpenter, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Uberexpy

Uberexpy Member

My test was out of curiosity over the advantage that the cam phaser is supposed to give in fuel economy. I was on vacation and didn’t care how long it took. Of course, the folks on I-95 had other ideas. They kept gesturing that I was number 1. Now I try to plan routes that keep me below 65 mph. It might take a few minutes longer, but the rural road views are better than the Interstate scenery.

Hamfisted and riphip like this.
  2. JohnnyB

JohnnyB Member

My '04 Exp. gets almost 18 MPG on highway, even tho the 'average' reading on dash only tells me 11 MPG. Around town aint too shabby either. 5.4 w/Motorcraft syn 10w30 and K&N air filter. No other mods, except I run Seafoam in fuel about once every month & a 1/2.

Hamfisted likes this.
  3. TobyU

TobyU Full Access Members

I have never seen the mileage average indicator be that far off especially not in the poor fuel economy Direction. People call them a lie o meter but I disagree with that because I find them to be pretty darn accurate.

4. Blksmk

Blksmk Full Access Members

07 expy xl
    225000 miles
    23.15 mpg 90 % highway at 66 mph

Hand calculated

5. Don Hall

Don Hall Full Access Members

You might check for trouble codes in the hand calculator :burnout:

Blksmk likes this.
  6. RichardH

RichardH Full Access Members

'03 5.4 2 wd, 150K miles, mpg o'meter on a good day was 22.6 mpg. Always 87 gas. 80 mile round trip - fwy 99% of the time, almost full tank of gas and 120# of stuff in truck, also me @ 205#, no passengers.

Normally between 19 - 22 mpg on fwy. Lower city of course.

7. Blksmk

Running 94 octane and a fresh tune up

8. Jeff G

Jeff G Member

Wow, great mileage. My 2003 5.4 4X4 averages 16-17 hwy 12-13 city. Tuned with recent plugs, COP'S, cleaned MAF and new driver side cat. Runs fantastic. it will hit 18 on a long, flat highway if I keep it at 65. I find the mpg calculator to be dead on.

1 person likes this.
  9. RichardH

RichardH Full Access Members

Yes sir, I also find the mpg o'meter pretty accurate. I think I got lucky. Same plugs when I bought my truck about a year ago - my wrench pulled a few plugs and they were almost flawless. Did do 5 new COP. Every 6 mos, new air filter and keep tire pressure at 42F, 40, R. Check those weekly.

In jest, I try to drive these not-too-aerodynamic vehicles with a fair tailwind. And down hill - both directions. :)

I'm Ok with gas right now, it's about $1.50/gallon at good stations. heard there are lower in other states, but my dad is paying $3.50/gallon for high octane for his Lexus in CA. Ouch...

10. Blksmk

I'm paying 1.12 per litre x 3.78 to equal a US gal $4.23 then add exchange rate 3.02 usd per gal.