Fuse/ short issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Florida Roy

Reaction score
Ok, I am in need of some Help here. The previous owner of my 1999 Expedition bypassed the Windshield wiper with a toggle switch. Wired from the fuse box with an inline fuse on it. The wire came off the post of the switch and shorted. My radio, all my dash "idiot" lights, and the navigation info that is on the ceiling in front of the mirror all went out. I pulled all the fuses and visually checked them and they all look good to the eye. The inline fuse he installed is 30amp. It did not blow. Is there a specific place/fuse/relay that I can check? All my running lights and blinkers work. It's just those interior components that went out. I heard it when it shorted and saw all the lights go out when it did. Can the fuses be blown and still look good? I really need to fix this problem as I have a 3 year old daughter that I cannot drive around Phoenix with the windows stuck down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Typically a blown fuse stands out visually but not always. If you are unsure invest in a multimeter and probe suspected fuses. It's a quick job and is more accurate than the eye. Nothing fancy needed, just a basic one though nicer models w extra features may come in handy down the road if budget permits.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would start by tracking down where that 30 amp circuit got its feed. In addition to open fuses, Look for any toasted wires nearby. A multimeter with a needle instead of a digital display is easier and more trustworthy device to troubleshoot vehicle electrical systems.

It appears the original owner intended to "fix" excess current draw from a bad wiper motor. The rear wiper is famous for draining the battery.

I would try to put the vehicle back into stock condition even if you need to replace a wiper motor. Otherwise you have a fire hazard kludge,

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk