Fuse to tap dashcam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeka

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Wondering if anybody has experience in piggybacking accessory (dashcam, radar detector, etc) into the interior fuse box?
I used voltmeter to find a fuse which is not powered without ignition, and so far found only fuse-37 (Heated steering wheel). All others seem to be powered, even after some time (checked two hours after ignition off). The issue with Fuse-37 is its position, I cannot insert a fuse-tap all the way down and keep correct load/draw orientation. Loose connection kind of bothering me, considering that I use external dashcam battery pack which draws 9A during the charge and has 20A fuse itself, plus 20A heated steering wheel - so need a solid connection for potential high current.
I suspect there could be timeouts before some circuits goes down, but couldn't find any information about that.
Would appreciate if you share your experience or theoretical knowledge.

Thanks.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have the diagrams for the 2008 Expedition but I do have them for the 2008 F250. Looking at your smart junction box which is usually located behind the passenger kick panel, see if there is a heavier gauge green wire with a brown stripe. If there is check using a meter to see if it has power in run/start position only. If it does then that is the wire that is powering the circuits that are "hot in run and start". Add your branch circuit here, fused correctly of course.

OP
OP
Jeka

Jeka

Reaction score
I don't have the diagrams for the 2008 Expedition but I do have them for the 2008 F250. Looking at your smart junction box which is usually located behind the passenger kick panel, see if there is a heavier gauge green wire with a brown stripe. If there is check using a meter to see if it has power in run/start position only. If it does then that is the wire that is powering the circuits that are "hot in run and start". Add your branch circuit here, fused correctly of course.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will try to trace it - all wires are pretty good hidden around the fuse box. Might need to do more disassembly. At the same time will see if I can trim the plastic box to push the tap all the way down - trying to avoid mess up with factory wires :)

maxjax800

Reaction score
Any updates to this thread? I too am curious how to use the add a fuse on my expedition max so I can get a car dashcam in.

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe @Uturn can help?

I'm also looking at where to tap in for a radar detector. Having something tied to the ignition is helpful, but my radar detector does have a time out feature if I can't find an ignition wire.

@Yukon Joe

OP
OP
Jeka

Jeka

Reaction score
Here is mine setup. Main concern was high current for steering wheel heater and dash cam battery pack which charges at 9A and came with 20A fuse (20A + 20A). Because of the shape of fuse box I couldn't push the tap all the way down. Cannot say the connection was loose or flimsy, but just not full enough - which bothered me for some time. Finally I took the panels off and checked connections when both were at full power - temperature didn't go above 47C (ambient was ~17C). Considering I will use steering wheel heater mostly in winter - that should be good. Keep in mind that fuse tap orientation matters - fuses should be connected in parallel and not in series which could burn the bottom fuse in the fuse tap.

010.JPG

020.JPG

030.JPG

040.JPG

050.JPG