FX4 and LED Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know what it takes to convert a 2018 Expy with the FX4 & tow packages to the OEM LED headlights?:shrug:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what it takes to convert a 2018 Expy with the FX4 & tow packages to the OEM LED headlights?:shrug:
This is only a guess but you will probably have to buy the LED Headlight housings because the reflectors are going to be different than the ones in the halogen headlights.

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am going to install HIDs in the low beams and Fogs once I figure out how to do it. Looks like the entire grill has to come out!

Spoiledhappywife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am going to install HIDs in the low beams and Fogs once I figure out how to do it. Looks like the entire grill has to come out!

There is an after market store in Mesa, I added HID’s to my Explorer Sport...including fogs. I wish I had taken photos to show.

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am thinking about having the dealer install the HID low beams and Fogs. They said it is a four hour job so it must require considerable disassembly, unlike my 2017 Expedition whose headlight simply slid out.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 XLT. I live in Ahwatukee. Do you know how to replace the headlight bulbs???
It is very easy. Two screws hold the headlight housings in place. Use a 10 mm socket to remove the screws on top of the housing. The bottom is held in with spring clips. You remove the two top screws, lift the top tabs to and pull the headlight housing forward slightly. Stick your fingers in the gap between the fender and the edge of the housing and give a quick short tug to pop the spring clip, then do the same thing near the grille and then maneuver assembly tuck the outside corner in and pull the side by the grille out and the whole thing comes right out. I can pull both sides in about 5 or 6 minutes.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Traditionally there is much more to it. LED headlights aren’t just swappable. There are LED drivers, constant voltage, relays, etc. Now if they were smart enough, all would be in place on all models and one could simply get the housings and modules, etc. and plug everything in.

One question I had was if the LED headlamps are high and low beam or just low beam like my platinum explorer

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On our Limited, the highs and lows are both LED so I would assume the same is true for the Platinums as well. Most of the time, manufacturers put all the LEDs, drivers and controls in/on the headlamp housing. It concentrates the assembly packaging and also allows the use of the heat generated from all the various components to clear snow and ice from the lenses.