Gas gauge inaccurate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess the easy way to determine if it is the gauge or sending unit is to look at the miles till empty if you have it. When my sending unit went weird on me, it would only record 3/4 full on the gauge, and the miles till empty showed a 25% decrease also. If it was just a bent needle, then the calculation would still be correct.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The best way to check the gauge is to use the procedure outlined in the service manual
which involves resistors of certain values to indicate EMPTY, HALF FULL and FULL.

The sending unit is basically a variable resistor

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess the easy way to determine if it is the gauge or sending unit is to look at the miles till empty if you have it. When my sending unit went weird on me, it would only record 3/4 full on the gauge, and the miles till empty showed a 25% decrease also. If it was just a bent needle, then the calculation would still be correct.

Anytime you bend the needle you then have an un calibrated gauge.

Again there is a procedure in the service manual that explains how to check the gauge

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not do like my buddy Curly Howard, open cap, light match, and woo woo woo!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
Brand new, my gauge is wrong. When it reads empty, I have six gallons left. While some engineer might think that is clever, to pester me to get gas sooner, it just means I have to sit in annoyance until the next gas station, which will probably be 5 gallons. Yea, I watch the odometer, but it is annoying.

OP
OP
RustyOval

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank You to everyone for the advice. I finally got around to replacing the pump/sending unit this weekend and now the gauge works correctly. I bought a Delphi FG1319 for $173.04 from Amazon and it was a perfect match and a breeze to swap out. All the work is in removing and reinstalling the tank, what a PIA. Next up is the rear axle seals..... need to be in tip top condition for pulling the camper.