Gas Mileage with Heavy Duty Tow Package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saltwater Soul

Reaction score
I'm at 16.9 mpg hand calculated over the last 29 fuelings. This includes some modest towing and off roading. My hand calculated number is almost exactly 1 mpg less than what the vehicle computer shows. My best mpg has been 20.0 mpg on one tank and the worst was 12.9 mpg when I towed my brothers 30+ travel trailer for part of the tank.

Overall, I am incredibly pleased with the efficiency of this vehicle.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed, impressed with the efficiency. 17ish around town and 20-22mpg on highway depending on speeds. 2wd non Max with HD tow. I came from an Acura MDX AWD with a v6 and averaged about 18-19mpg around town so this is really impressive that I can still be close to those numbers. Highway I’m about 4mpg less than the MDX but most of my miles are around town.

I’d be interested to see if summer weather improves my MPG since the tranny and engine temps will start out higher (love in TN so it’s hot) as most of my trips are really short.

Jason Bell

Reaction score
Seeing all your 15-22mpgs makes me a bit jealous. Mine is a 2019 4x4 3.73 with 3" spacers and 34.5" tires, but my average hangs around 14mpg, with mixed city and highway.
On road trips it can go up to 16 or so, unless I drive over 70 and then it starts to come back down. But, since my tires have a little more circumference than stock, I might be getting slightly better than the un-calibrated computer thinks I'm getting.
But my lifted 2008 4x4 Expedition got around 10-11mph, and my lifted 2014 4Runner only averaged 15-16mpg. So, based on my previous experiences the lifted 2019 at 14-15mpg seems amazing, especially considering it is rated to tow 9000 lbs, and of those vehicles I listed has a tremendous amount more power. It can literally do just about anything I need it to do - besides pull a 5th-wheel. It's probably my favorite vehicle ever.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seeing all your 15-22mpgs makes me a bit jealous. Mine is a 2019 4x4 3.73 with 3" spacers and 34.5" tires, but my average hangs around 14mpg, with mixed city and highway.
On road trips it can go up to 16 or so, unless I drive over 70 and then it starts to come back down. But, since my tires have a little more circumference than stock, I might be getting slightly better than the un-calibrated computer thinks I'm getting.
But my lifted 2008 4x4 Expedition got around 10-11mph, and my lifted 2014 4Runner only averaged 15-16mpg. So, based on my previous experiences the lifted 2019 at 14-15mpg seems amazing, especially considering it is rated to tow 9000 lbs, and of those vehicles I listed has a tremendous amount more power. It can literally do just about anything I need it to do - besides pull a 5th-wheel. It's probably my favorite vehicle ever.

Tires can be close to a 5mpg average hit on the highway. With my old Sequoia the bigger luggy tires were pretty much a 4mpg hit at higher freeway speeds over the stock street tires. I dumped the bigger luggy tires for a stock hybrid tire BFG Advantage T/A Sport got my mileage/range back and pretty ok dirt road durability and decent traction. Once my soft squishy stock tires 22’s on the Expedition are done the BFG hybrids are going on

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've seen 19-20 mpg purely highway at interstate speeds, but we usually get 17-18 mixed and it's been around 15 in town this winter.
This is almost exactly what I have seen. Strictly city, at 3 to 4 mile trips at a time, we are getting about 14. Towing, it doesn’t do much better than my 2003 Expedition did, but it does it so much easier.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is almost exactly what I have seen. Strictly city, at 3 to 4 mile trips at a time, we are getting about 14. Towing, it doesn’t do much better than my 2003 Expedition did, but it does it so much easier.
Totally agree on towing. If I go 65mph with my travel trailer I'm thrilled to get 9mpg! Dropping to 55-60 does improve the mileage a lot, which tells you you're fighting wind resistance. The engine and tranny don't really care at all, usually in 7/8 gear under 2500rpm just humming along, grades don't matter even with almost 6k lbs.

Last edited:

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are all of these estimates you’re reading off the expy screen? In most cases those are at least 5% generous.