Gasoline question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrSticker, Sep 9, 2019.

1. MrSticker

MrSticker Full Access Members

i was getting gas at a Gulf in Nebraska today and thought this price difference was odd. Can anyone explain the $0.53 per gallon difference for 1 octane improvement? Also ... all gas is unleaded now so why call one unleaded and one regular?

4E7B7AC0-7FBE-4E56-948A-971A80A35CCB.jpeg

Pretty good prices for gas here.

2. ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom Full Access Members

Where in Nebraska?

3. MrSticker

I80 heading east not far over the border from Colorful Colorado which was I76.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  4. Aspen03

Aspen03 Full Access Members

I cant say I've ever seen 86. Why bother? I mean from a producer standpoint. Perhaps that's why. No one buys it=great deal? As long as it runs fine that looks like a good way to save a few $.

Around here it's a 25-30 cent difference each step from 87-89-93, sometimes more depending on the area of town I do have a station near my house that has 90 octane E0 due to a lot of farms in the area, its usually a good .80-$1 more than 89 at any given time. Runs great in the mower/trimmer though and starts first pull, every time even at the end of the season after sitting in the can.

byathread likes this.
  5. Adieu

Adieu Full Access Members

Probably one of those oddball states with different base regular octane (like 85 in Utah, which btw runs fine and gives good MPGs on flexfuel 5.4's).

The 87 is likely on account of the interstate, by popular demand, a skeptic surcharge for those passing through (and a visual excuse to put a higher price on the 88 or 89 that comes as the next tier)

6. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

To understand is to know a bit about refining......Superlow Regular came about by lowering the required standard to allow the selling of the undercrop, or the material that tests at just under the 87 minimum once the additive package is selected and installed.

If refiners can sell the junk, it produces, it allows more space, more barrels refined....

Right now there is a huge delta in pricing....and consumers are getting gouged since the undercrop is now selling at one half the price of 87 to wholesalers.....the 50 cents might seem like a great deal....but the station is actually making more, MUCH more per gallon from it....for now.

This stuff comes into play when you often buy cheap, off brand gas and explains why often, it's a tier 1 fuel rated higher in octane that the sign shows!

jeff

7. Adieu

Adieu Full Access Members

That's ~4 cents per mile savings.... quite tempting.

You could save 6 - 8 - 10 grand running this religiously for the lifetime of the truck.

Now if it blows up your engine in <100k, you lose.

But.... chances are it won't. Since several states label 85 and 86 as regular and they're ok.

And if you get it to 175-200k, you've saved more on fuel than the truck is worth.

8. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Ultimate Member Supporting Member

The owners manual says minimum octane rating of 87 is required for the 5.4 3V engine and to exclude use of gasoline with any octane rating lower.

I’m sure the ECM can retard the timing to prevent pinging but it’s also robbing power at that point.

C86EF025-E250-4F24-A605-9921D169B2CB.png

9. Black

Black Full Access Members

Never seen 86 before.
    I just paid $2.16 a gallon for 87 on Saturday at Shell and did not have any fuel points.

10. MrSticker

Thanks MrJ .... I should have looked that up myself, too busy putting miles on the old gal right now (weak excuse). Although the way I read that is not to use less than 87 in higher altitude areas, not a total ban on using less than 87 octane.

Gas is good price in Sturgis tonight
    Sturgis Michigan
    0910192048a.jpg

Imagine how cheap gas will be when electric cars start rolling out in a couple years

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    cmiles97 likes this.