Gasoline question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrSticker, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Adieu

Adieu Full Access Members

No

The things is 85 & 86 are sold ad regular IN HIGH ALTITUDES (something about atmospheric pressure affecting how stuff runs?)

And imho Ford's just doing CYA lawyer speak for "don't use anything we didn't test and then expect us to cover it with warranty if you mess it up".... it doesn't actually mean anything conclusive

Utah 85 ran good and with quite solid MPGs for a couple of tanks for me

2. MrSticker

MrSticker Full Access Members

Yes ... Not No

That's what it says (in writing). I think you have it backwards. Higher elevation needs higher octane not less. Sure it probably normally works ok but not advised for marginal cases.

3. ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp Full Access Members

I haven't seen 86 octane in many, many years. What is it in Nebraska now? About 1995 or so? :D Those gas prices are pretty sweet though. I'm paying ~$2.50 in NJ and ~$2.75 in PA.

4. Adieu

Adieu Full Access Members

Nope

Screenshot_2019-09-11-00-39-18-1.png Screenshot_2019-09-11-00-39-25.png

5. MrSticker

I guess the 5.4L Expy can run on E85, although I don't recall seeing the Flex fuel badge anywhere on the vehicle. I think it has the yellow band around the gas cap. I've never done it and don't think I will. You get a big reduction in gas mileage and probably power?

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/34325.shtml

6. ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom Full Access Members

Correct. In most of Colorado, 85 octane is the low grade octane rating. Premium is only like 91 octane- instead of 92 or 93 at sea level.

The lower atmospheric pressure results in lower combustion chamber pressures (even with forced induction) than sea level. Therefore you can get by with less octane (less ability to prevent against pre-ignition, which can be caused by too much pressure).

I’ve run several tanks of 87 here at altitude just to see if I can feel a difference in power or mileage or anything. I noticed no difference- other than paying more each time I filled up.

ColoExpdn and TobyU like this.
  7. ChrisOIFdoc

ChrisOIFdoc Full Access Members

First you had a pic of my wife riding a bike for your avatar.....now this one? I need to have a talk with my wife about her choice of clothing!

jeff kushner likes this.
  8. MrSticker

Can you post a picture of your wife?

ChrisOIFdoc likes this.
  9. MrSticker

Does it depend on what engine you have and if you're towing? I thought the EcoBoost advised high octane in the mountains while towing? I might be conflating things here and applying something across the board that is case specific.

Ok ... I think I've learned something new here , that you can get away with lower octane gas in higher elevations. That's what discussion with other people is all about. Not winning an argument but education.

I'm thinking you can get away with lower octane at elevation, but you will have less power so the EcoBoost advises to run higher octane since it can adjust engine parameters and make up for that loss.

10. ChrisOIFdoc

ChrisOIFdoc Full Access Members

I can only post her look alike.

B50F2813-7924-454D-BDAA-A116BA45965E.jpeg

jeff kushner and MrSticker like this.