Gem Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the GEM module the grey box located behind the fuse block up against the fire wall? My radio and HVAC lights went out thinking the GEM may be going bad or got water water on it.

Or any other ideas as to why this might of happened.

It has an aftermarket radio, Completly powerless. HVAC controls still work but no lights. All fuses seem to be OK. havent checked relays or to see if I have voltage at the connector YET.

B

bedrck46

the gem module is the box that is connected to the rear of the fuse box

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
lve2wheel

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I checked the fuses with a test light, vehicle keyed on so the radio and HVAC had power going to them. What does the GEM looked like (color, connectors?)? I tried peeking my head in there but its offely dark in there lol. Flash light wasnt very good.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Does not sound like gem issue to me. With gem issues circuits come on randomly when they are not turned on or even when the ignition is off.

I would suspect fuse. Not sure how you are using the test light. Are you able to check line and load side of fuse? Since its an aftermarket radio who knows what they tied the power into. Hopefully the original radio power wire.

If not fuse check power wire for break or bad connection. Check grounds.

To answer your original question the gem module piggybacks the interior fuse block. I removed my fuse block and gem module as a unit then they are easily separated.

OP
OP
lve2wheel

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just checked from ground. I didnt run the test light to power to check ground. (didnt have a long enough jumper) I've had the radio out before it was wired decently. Don't recall where the power wire was fed to. What about the HVAC lights? Do you think the problem is connected/related, Or a seperate issue? ( i know the controls so its not a huge issue but it would be really nice to have a radio again. )

And thanks for explaing where and what the GEM module looks like.

Long story short I purchased this vehicle back in 2011 in full working condition, Sold it to my ex (than GF) in full working order, and just bought it back with this condition. ( yes i love the truck that much) She claimed the HVAC light would flicker on and off for a while, than went black, worked for a min, than completly black again. And its been out ever since, So I thought that kind of sounded like the GEM issue you guys were reporting. ( i work 70-80 hrs a week so I havent really had to much time to dig into, My time is limited so all the Insight you guys are giving me is GREATLY appreciated)

Is there a relay for the radio?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To me the easiest thing would be to verify the fuses have power on both legs then back trace the radio wiring from the radio to the fuse block starting with the ground side of the circuit. If it isn't pulling power from the original radio circuit I would wire it so that it does.

B

bedrck46

one of the best ways to check under the dash is a good bright flashlight and a mirror.

Its amazing what all you will be able to see

the gray module that you referred to is most likely the security module you may even see 5 large numbers on it they would be for the key pad on the door if you have that option

OP
OP
lve2wheel

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so just went out there at work, the fuse WAS blown ( must have missed it some how), put another fuse in blew it instantly. Put a bigger fuse in and it works. So obviously I have a short somewhere I have to track down. Leave the fuse out for now and hope I can track it down during the daylight.

Now onto the HVAC lights. Could be part of the same wiring system, not sure yet.

Again thank you every body for your assistance.

B

bedrck46

according to the wiring print the fuse for the radio and hvac are the same fuse

check in the morning as I will see about sending you a copy of the print that shows the fuse

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360