Gen 2 ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SailorKane

Reaction score
2003 Expedition 54L engine. There are a lot of posts about ticking noises from the 5.4L engine, but they seem centered on the cam phasers of the 3V engine. Mine is a 2V engine and my understanding is that it doesn't have cam phasers. The only information I can get is that it might be the valve lash adjusters.
Anyone else with a 2003 have a ticking noise? Hard to hear inside the cab. Mostly hear it reflected from the wall in a drive up fast food place or when standing next to drivers side outside the vehicle. Its a tick...tick..tick at idle when warm.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you the original owner ? What weight oil are you using ? How many miles on the Expy ? Have you looked under the hood ?

Plati

Reaction score
My 2003 5.4 had some ticking (if that's the appropriate label, not an expert on the sound/noise) at various times in its life. I just ignored it and it goes away. Sounds great currently with 180K.

Some of these things are like back pain. I don't run to the Dr for every little pain.
But when you have a serious sustained issue, good to diagnose it and deal with it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ticking your describing is most likely one or more of the roller rockers that ride on your camshafts. When the roller gets play, which they do with age, can not keep the 0 lash clearance any longer. Take a stethoscope or long thin screwdriver to each valve cover and your ear. Sadly, you'll most likely have to tear into top end, or make a decision as to do I keep it, or move it down the road.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SailorKane

Reaction score
Original owner, factory recommended 5w20 oil changed regularly. 185k miles. Its done some towing but has been a great truck. Rebuilt the tranny a few years ago. Ford issued a note that might or might not apply that pointed to the lash adjusters. That would seem to tie in with the roller rockers that 1955moose mentioned?!?
If I ignor it, what is the likelihood of major damage?

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try running 5w30, it's a bit thicker and may help build up pressure in a weak lash adjuster. Sometimes when the lash adjusters give up, there's no saving them. If they hold no pressure at all and the tick gets really bad, it could throw the rocker. That could be catastrophic or it could just be a sustained misfire.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are in florida where its not cold. Run 5w30 or 10w30. You can also try a qt of Marvel's Mystery Oil (MMO) Sometimes a piece of dirt will get into a lifter /lash adjuster and cause noise.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you've got a severely worn roller rocker, it will wear away at the camshaft lobe in time. I know it's a bit of work to pull the rockers and check them and all the valve components, but if the heavier oil doesn't quiet the motor down, that's your next move. The marvel mystery oil mixed in with your old oil is fine, just don't put in too much. 12 ounces is fine. The later 3 valve motors you can't use additives like that one. It messes with the phasers and valve solenoids. Be sure not to run oil with the mm oil for more than 400 miles before draining and refilling with new 5w30 and filter.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
His is a 2v. You can run about anything from 0w20--15w5--1 qt of trans fluid--one qt MMO--Rislone--STP---Motor Honey----and it'll still function about the same. LOL
These hold 6 qts too actually more like 6.25-6.3 if you go to full mark but Ford says less and says ok to be 1/4 way in the cross hatch safe area.
I have used 1 qt MMO in 5.4s and 98-02 4.6s in Town Cars (they hold more than newer ones too IIRC) with no issues other than cleaning the inside of heads to where you can noticeably see it is cleaner in about 1500-2000 miles.
I often add one 1000 miles or so before an oil change when it might be down a little on dipstick anyway. You never want to OVERFILL an engine over a slight bit past the full mark.
I haven't had any Ford modulars tick from dirty lifters where MMO or any other detergent or even like full synthetic oil helped. Never had any tickings. GM 3400 different story. The heads were just off of it for head gaskets and right as I drove it away within couple of miles started lifter ticking.
Unscrewed filter and drained to get a little lower and added MMO. Tick was gone for good withing 4 minutes!
too bad the camshaft twisted in half 4K miles later. 240K . I junked it but If I had to do it over I would have put cam in but NOT going to pull engine.
I would cut a hole right in inner fender to slide it through and maybe pull fender if easy which I think it is or maybe drill hole in fender too and put a rubber plug in wen finished.

I can't STAND the crap way they make these things too hard to work on.

OP
OP
S

SailorKane

Reaction score
So will heavier oil actually help the lash adjusters or rockers, or will it just mask the noise?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graphite-INDITE