Gen 2 ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's the Lash adjuster leaking down and not holding like the seal so the oil pressure stays in then the thicker oil will help that. The difference in noise-masking ability from the 5w20 a 10w30 is not a whole lot. Also, the detergent additives like MMO will flush out a small Speck of dirt or a sticking plunger or seal inside a lifter or so the noise might go away

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heavier oil is just going to mask your noise and problem. Worn is worn. It's like your body, when arteries get clogged, your doctor puts you on statans to lower blood pressure, and either an aspirin, a form of rat poison, like warfrin, or when really clogged, a stint to open up the clogged arteries. Your engines the same, parts wear, clearances expand, oil pumps stop or slow pumping , due to wear, and clogged pickup screen. So back to the original question you asked, yes it will quiet the noise somewhat, but your putting a bandage on a cut that needs stitches!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We really don't know what's wrong and what's causing the noise at this point. It's hard to tell too because anything in the rocker arm or lash adjuster makes the same type of ticking or clacking sound. The valve covers aren't too hard to pull on though so you might consider pulling that valve cover and inspecting it. Like moose said, if it is a rocker arm that's starting to go bad where the roller bearing wears out and get slop in The Rocker, it will only get worse and you're not even going to hide the symptoms that much and it needs to be fixed. These valve cover gaskets are reusable as they're Rubber and stay with the valve cover. If you need to get a roller rocker you can get a used one or buy new for about $15. The Lash adjusters are only seven or eight dollars also. I had one one time with a possible issue for one popped out from under the camshaft. I didn't want to risk it even though they look perfect so I replace both parts for under $20. Never had any other problem with that engine. But if yours is just ticking from a speck of dirt or something in there then a good cleaner like the mmo and then an oil change with some fresh semi synthetic or full synthetic just my make the problem go away forever if it's not a mechanical issue. So it's really not that much expense to try that first. Especially if you aren't that far away from needing an oil change.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a thought of my experience, I had a cam hold down crack causing a tick as well.

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i
it's what one gets for being stupid enough to use 5w20 oil, which Ford only specified to get slightly
better fuel economy. Anyone with brains used Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil 1 oil filters from day one.
Of course, 99% of expee owners go to Jiffy Lube and get the $1 oil filter and junk dino 5w20

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had both two & three valve engines. What everyone is saying is a logical explanation for the ticking, but believe it or not, that "ticking" can be coming from a cracked
exaust manifold, quite common with first gen 5.4.
Ask me how I know. Manifold replaced, ticking gone.

Cooper

Reaction score
i
it's what one gets for being stupid enough to use 5w20 oil, which Ford only specified to get slightly
better fuel economy. Anyone with brains used Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil 1 oil filters from day one.
Of course, 99% of expee owners go to Jiffy Lube and get the $1 oil filter and junk dino 5w20
I don't have a brain I just follow what Ford says.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have a brain I just follow what Ford says.
We all have to or should at least until warranty is out.

Can't give them any more free wiggle room.

Just had a friend trade in brand new honda civic I believe with the high performance turbo engine.
They have a know issue with fuel dilution. His blackstone labs showed 3% but when he changed it is was very thin and smelled badly of fuel. I would have guess a higher percentage...but it is bad.
He knew it would be better with a 5w-30 or even 10w-30 syn oil but he has to run the 0w-20 it calls for.
It was 7 month old and he got rid of it and got a Subaru WRX I think (they still make them?) but then posted he was back into a honda. Don't know if same one or what??

But jsut because the manufacturer calls for a certain oil DOES not mean its the best for your engine. Notice how many times they issue tsb and supersede the original spec.
I don't think that hurts them for CAFE or other regs.
They should test and sell them all with 0w-20 full syn and then give you free oil change with 5w or 10w-30!!!

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 04 used to tick at every start up I put half a quart of mmo in and it went away and never came back