General lack of aftermarket mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TimberExpy

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong here, we really like our '22 Timberline. We are longtime Toyo/Lexus owners, having given up a GX460 for this Expy - decided that the wait for the new Sequoia wasn't worth it, and didn't care for the 2nd/3rd row seating or the rear cargo storage on that new redesign anyway.

But that new '23 Sequoia has been out for like 10 minutes and it seems there's already a ton of aftermarket mods from fabricators (similar to the new Tundra, the redesign for which is also pretty recent). I'm taking about rock sliders, front/rear bumpers, roof racks, lighting, suspension mods, etc. General overlanding/off-road stuff. SEMA show had some crazy stuff, and of course it's been this way for a long time with regard to the GXs, Tacos, Tundras, etc.

But I've had little luck in finding these kinds for things for Expeditions, and I'm not just talking about for our Timberline - even recent gen. Expys seem to have very little in the way of these mods. Is this just because the general demand isn't there? Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong place.

Thanks.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yah there isn't that much out there, I'd say the people with the most mods is Baja Forged and Icon. They only have about 5 products too

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expy has always been limited to mods since I think the market was always pretty soft. I personally think the Timberline will change the market. I was in the market for a Raptor and my son ask me why and we discussed how the open bed sucks for traveling (theft, rain, etc) and if there was anything else. I told him not really. The Timberline changed everything for me since its extremely off road capable. I suspect the aftermarket area with start to build in the next year.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most Expy's won't go offroad. Also, killing the LC and making the Sequoia fill it's spot in the USA helped get those aftermarket off road parts out faster.

I'm another who was looking at the previous gen Sequoia, didn't like the new one and needed to move sooner than later and ended up happily in my Expy.

Hang out here long enough though and it seems you'll find plenty of ways to spend money on your rig.

OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
Most Expy's won't go offroad. Also, killing the LC and making the Sequoia fill it's spot in the USA helped get those aftermarket off road parts out faster.

I'm another who was looking at the previous gen Sequoia, didn't like the new one and needed to move sooner than later and ended up happily in my Expy.

Hang out here long enough though and it seems you'll find plenty of ways to spend money on your rig.

Man, it’s a shame about the Landcruiser, eh?

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man, it’s a shame about the Landcruiser, eh?
Not to pollute up a Ford forum, but I sold this to buy the Expy. I loved it but it wasn't as good for long distance family travels as I'd have liked.

DSC00923-XL.jpg

Funny thing is my new tires on the Expy are the same overall height as those on the LC, but the Expy is huge and makes em look so much smaller.

But yea, it's a shame, not like I could afford the new one if it was here anyway though.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toyota does sell a lot of GX’s and LandCruiser Prados to overseas markets. Markets where there’s a lot of people driving them on primitive roads. Which is also why there’s so much more available for the Amada which so few sales…

OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
Not to pollute up a Ford forum, but I sold this to buy the Expy. I loved it but it wasn't as good for long distance family travels as I'd have liked.

View attachment 75580

Funny thing is my new tires on the Expy are the same overall height as those on the LC, but the Expy is huge and makes em look so much smaller.

But yea, it's a shame, not like I could afford the new one if it was here anyway though.
Yeah proportions are important, and I think it’s harder to achieve this with a Ute as big as the Expy. Slap 37s and new suspension on it to make it nice and level, and then the damn thing doesn’t fit in the garage.

On the other hand, while there’s some sick looking 4Runner rigs out there, at the end of the day you have to deal with a smaller interior space.

OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
Toyota does sell a lot of GX’s and LandCruiser Prados to overseas markets. Markets where there’s a lot of people driving them on primitive roads. Which is also why there’s so much more available for the Amada which so few sales…
That makes sense for the GX/Pardo, and I suppose the Taco, but isn’t the Tundra/Sequoia a predominately U.S. product? And yet, mods galore for those guys.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's what I've learned over the last 3 years. I'm a Jeep guy, and there's always been crazy aftermarket stuff for all Jeep models. I had a custom-made winch plate and winch purchased within 90 days of having a brand new WK2, first model year, so the Ford stuff is new to me.

I've found tons of mods, of various shapes and flavors, but often I have to look for things in local mom and pop shops, or I have to look for different things and just pray it works. i.e. a lot of stuff I have to search by say F150. And then hope it works. Most things have worked out well. But even just recently I had a situation where something didn't work well, for example I bought some caliper covers that I really liked, were well made, etc. But unfortunately, with the factory 22's, the covers didn't have clearance.

But other things that I've been waiting for years for, are finally starting to trickle in. the other hard part is that anytime a vendor takes a current model and changes a bunch of stuff, the aftermarket folks get thrown through the ringer. e.g. someone recently posted some pics of the undercarriage of the 22/23, the exhaust looked vastly different from the 18-21. So those of you with newer models may be waiting as long as many of us were for the 18's and 19's.