Getting swirls out of plastic pillars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Noticed this pretty much the day I took delivery of our expedition that the plastic on the pillars outside had swirl marks and now that the weather is nicer I'd like to try and get them out. I found this thread from quite a while ago. It had some suggestions but I didn't see any follow ups. Anyone have specific products that are your "go to" for polishing these back up?

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/exterior-plastic-b-c-pillar-scratches-polish.36066/

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use my DA with chemical guys v36 on an orange pad followed with a v38 on a white pad. Black pad for sealant/wax.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How often do you have to do this just out of curiosity? We have unlimited wash plans for the Expedition and MKS so it gets a bath pretty frequently, especially in Winter to wash all the salt off.

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
How often do you have to do this just out of curiosity? We have unlimited wash plans for the Expedition and MKS so it gets a bath pretty frequently, especially in Winter to wash all the salt off.

If the place is one of those hands-free automated type, the plastic trim will get scratched instantly. Doesn't take much to scratch the black plastic trim unfortunately...

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Super. Another pitfall to watch out for. Anybody try a vinyl wrap over those? They do whole cars these days, so maybe that would be a solution.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PRO brand Ultimate Cutter and Scratch Remover. Best I have ever used.
By hand works really good but with foam pad the results are amazing.
Then top coat or buff with a little finer polish. I use Zymol blue liquid stuff.
Then a couple of coats of hard paste wax.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My 2000 pillars have almost no swirls and I also have a unlimited plan. The only true fix is to replace them or maybe use a clear wrap.

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Meg’s ultimate polish followed by a sealant and wax. Use a DA. No matter how perfect you get them, if you don’t use a clear wrap over them they will get scratched on your first wash or the first time you run a MF towel across them. They are very soft

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Meg’s ultimate polish followed by a sealant and wax. Use a DA. No matter how perfect you get them, if you don’t use a clear wrap over them they will get scratched on your first wash or the first time you run a MF towel across them. They are very soft
Then we need a really hard sealant to go over them. I'm thinking of the old liquid glass. But what about these new ceramic sealants?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank1971