Google Maps vs Garmin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Driving around the US & Canada a lot throughout the year. I almost always have Google Maps running but I'm considering a dedicated Garmin GPS unit (DriveSmart 61) so I can have maps in Canada (my Tracfone does not work in Canada) and not require a cell phone connection to have a map (remote areas). Have you ever considered this or does anybody have any advice? Garmin isn't the most friendly device provider IMHO … it doesn't seem to be able to output to a Bluetooth speaker (my hearing is bad, I need it loud), I'm not sure if the display will work with my Polarized glasses, traffic updates only happen if coupled with a smartphone, … various disadvantages it seems. The main advantage is no cell phone network required which I cant get on my smartphone in Canada or remote areas. Yes I can run "offline maps" with Google but if you stray off the line (like in a gas station) the map fails and it doesn't update since no cell phone connection. If you make a wrong turn with offline Google maps, no update - you're blind.

any thoughts or advice?

this is my Backup Plan
backuplan.jpg

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure about traffic updates only when coupled with cellphone may be true with some models but not the model I have. In a little bit of reading it appears the DriveSmart models need the phone app connected for traffic and the NUVI models do not but are slightly more expensive.
I have a Garmin NUVI 2589 with lifetime maps and traffic. Never had it hooked to my cell phone and traffic works just fine. You do have to use the factory power cable or the traffic will not work.
Granted an older model but I bought it refurbished 2 years ago for like $85.
It is in my company vehicle and it is on 10 hours a day 4 days a week.
Easy to use map upgrades are quick and easy.
Plus I can easily toss it from car to car if need be.
I much prefer it to google maps on my phone.
Not sure one can hook to a Bluetooth speaker but the volume is quite loud. I have it set at about 1/4 on the volume bar and it is much louder than my car radio.
I can see the screen on mine with no issues when wearing polarized glasses.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use Google Maps when I have cell coverage and an old version of Navigon for offline usage. Navigon allowed you to download entire states/provinces for offline use, so it was essentially the same as a standalone GPS. However, I don't think Navigon is available anymore though. Some of my friends use HERE WeGo, so perhaps that's worth having a look at. If you really want the standalone GPS though, I think Garmin's units are the best of the bunch. Personally, I wouldn't spend more than $100 on one though. You can usually find refurbs within that budget.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny the company car was due for maintenance today so of course I grabbed the GPS to keep with me while I dropped it off and checked for updates.
I have probably updated 3 maybe 4 times in 2 years and it took maybe 15 minutes each time.
Plugged it in and was told it would take 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Big update I guess. It then informed me that I did not have enough internal memory and could use up to a 32gb microSD card.Had no clue it took a card. So I’ll get a card tomorrow and then install will be interesting to see what all is being added.
It said I had enough memory for 1 region if I wanted to proceed.