Gotts Mod **Pics**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 31498 Saw this but it doesnt really correct the whole problem.
So..... I removed it all together and ran Four inches to the quarter panel and enlarged the opening to four inches. Dropped in an AEM High Flow Dry Filter. Get avg 70 to 75 degree air temp at MAF sensor

what was the air temp at the MAF sensor before your work?
I did like the idea of wrapping it in insulation.

Nuclidex

Reaction score
I just did this mod on my 2005 Navigator. I used a drop in flat K&N filter and a 4" to 3" rubber adapter. I used the 3" PVC pipe with the foam in the middle which made grinding it a lot easier so it fit in the fender hole. I painted it with bed liner too.

I was told by an old mechanic friend once that a motor is just an air pump. I doubt ford would put that smaller diameter pipe on the air intake if it was restrictive. Although the pipe is larger now my whole reason for the mod was to free up space under the hood.

I noticed a notable increase in noise going from the stock set up with intake silencer to the gotts mod. With the newer trucks (navi, exp) the filter is in the housing above the motor and the location of the intake silencer is where the "in line" circular filter is on the older trucks. It is possible this noise is more pronounced on the newer style intake system when you remove the silencer because it seems to me the older trucks "in line" filter housing may also act as a silencer.

Just my $0.02

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did this mod on my 2005 Navigator. I used a drop in flat K&N filter and a 4" to 3" rubber adapter. I used the 3" PVC pipe with the foam in the middle which made grinding it a lot easier so it fit in the fender hole. I painted it with bed liner too.

I was told by an old mechanic friend once that a motor is just an air pump. I doubt ford would put that smaller diameter pipe on the air intake if it was restrictive. Although the pipe is larger now my whole reason for the mod was to free up space under the hood.

I noticed a notable increase in noise going from the stock set up with intake silencer to the gotts mod. With the newer trucks (navi, exp) the filter is in the housing above the motor and the location of the intake silencer is where the "in line" circular filter is on the older trucks. It is possible this noise is more pronounced on the newer style intake system when you remove the silencer because it seems to me the older trucks "in line" filter housing may also act as a silencer.

Just my $0.02

i wish I had kept a great article I'd once found on this. it turns out the relevant metric is the volume of air the engine needs to fill on every intake stroke. As long as there's at least that much available, with some constraints on pressure, then there is no "restriction" on the intake side.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but every one knows more/cooler air flow is better

nobody denies it. if somebody said otherwise, please name them.

The question is HOW MUCH BETTER? Is it worth what it costs? What is the evidence for more power, more mileage, more anything as a result of the Gotts mod or a CAI?

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
I've read about the Gotts Mod on a few forums. I understand the theory behind it.

I'm still waiting to find where someone has answered the quoted question above . . . ?
If the question is "Does colder, denser air make more power?" The answer is yes. Thats why intercoolers exist amongst other things. Is the question "Does THIS MOD, or CAI's in general make a difference?" It depends on the installation AND what the difference is that you are attempting to achieve. If your intake temp averages 97 degrees and after installing the CAI its 96.8 then yes - technically it did what it said it would. Did it make a difference? We both know the answer there.
NONE of that matters though, if the question is "Was it worth it". For Whitelightning99? Hell yes it was, he didnt spend a penny. The dude that dropped $200 on a CAI? Dunno There could be a million measurements, none of them will answer "Is it worth it?" Thats a subjective question and I applaud folks for steering clear. I'm an a-hole and cant help myself.

Will Bean

Reaction score
Ditto. Seems like much ado about nada. My 06 Expy with 22+k on it pulls stumps, drags logs, and tows a 30ft trailer all with stock equipment. I will be tossing some glass packs on soon but just for preference since I finally have to replace my factory cats. I am an a-hole so I prefer people know before I even get out of the car.