Gotts Mod??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LEOL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, my expy is already sucking more air than it should, so im bringing this topic up just because im curios and bored. LoL

So i was skimming posts/topics, and i "gotts" to thinking (see what i did there?!)... id like one of you math nerds to do a little dance and riddle me this.

The gotts mod increases air flow. well... given the location and design of the airbox wouldnt it be much simpler to just calculate the airflow increase that the gotts mod provides and caclulate how much cfm you would get from a specific diameter breech at the snorkel.... like say a 16th inch drill bit, to put an angled pinhole (or three) in the snorkel instead of hacking the thing to pieces??

plus then, if you dont like the flow results you can just melt some plastic, or glue to fill the holes... or hell, just duct tape the stupid thing back up at any given time.....

Id love to hear some input on flow calculations, or even some neigh-saying as to why my theory may or may not be practical.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I did the Gotts mod, I didn't hack up anything except the piece of PVC pipe I bought at Home Depot. Done right, the mod is 100% reversible.

OP
OP
L

LEOL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, i know you can do it clean with PVC... what i was getting at, is not having to do that at all. (despite it being simple and not really time consumingin the first place). I just like to simplify things, and i also like to see discussion and collaberation on different ways to do things.

Hawaiianbasshead

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.instructables.com/id/Gotts-Air-Intake-Mod-Ford/?ALLSTEPS

Google ftw, 2012+ snorkel in itself is larger and flared and a direct swap..... and cheaper than pvc.. part numbers vary I think there were 2 for sure. It's on my list of things to get soon my 07 isn't yet on the streets anyway but I will be swapping to the newer snorkel. Phones are lagging so I tried typing this multiple times and currently using a shattered phone as its lagging less than my nice s7 *facepalm* but yeah, maybe check it out =)

Ford part numbers are on the how to'

Really imo the one on this forum should be a sticky in the how to and 3rd gen sections to be able to upgrade to the larger snorkel for like $7. If I get it I will try to do a small how to =)

Tank_Snake

Reaction score
I just did the Gotts mod last night to my 00 5.4L I've never pulled the little tube that sucks from the bumper and I was freaking amazed at how restrictive it was! I even showed my wife and was like how do they expect a huge V8 will get enough air from this tiny tube at full throttle.

Disconnected the battery as to let the computer relearn its shit, put a significantly larger tube in the smaller ones place....made ZERO cuts and hello growling engine with a $4 true CAI.....cant beat that

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After having it in a couple months I am still convinced the 2012+ intake snorkel swap was a great mod.

Noticeable power increase? Not sure since I have custom tune.
Butt dyno? Not sure

Sound change? Negligible

Economy? I think a little bit but hard to tell as wife tends to do the "I used the Expy so I put $20 in it" idiocy and throws off numbers.