Gotts Mod??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, my expy is already sucking more air than it should, so im bringing this topic up just because im curios and bored. LoL
So i was skimming posts/topics, and i "gotts" to thinking (see what i did there?!)... id like one of you math nerds to do a little dance and riddle me this.
The gotts mod increases air flow. well... given the location and design of the airbox wouldnt it be much simpler to just calculate the airflow increase that the gotts mod provides and caclulate how much cfm you would get from a specific diameter breech at the snorkel.... like say a 16th inch drill bit, to put an angled pinhole (or three) in the snorkel instead of hacking the thing to pieces??
plus then, if you dont like the flow results you can just melt some plastic, or glue to fill the holes... or hell, just duct tape the stupid thing back up at any given time.....
Id love to hear some input on flow calculations, or even some neigh-saying as to why my theory may or may not be practical.

If I understand you right, the difference is that the Gotts mod is still pulling air from the fender well, not the [hot] engine compartment. drilling holes as you suggest (if I understood correctly) would match or exceed the Gotts airflow, but it would be with warmer air.

I did the Gotts mod on a 2000 F150 with the V6; never noticed any difference at all. it had decent power and ****** mileage before the mod, had decent power and ****** mileage after... FWIW.

On my 04 5.4L 2V, after a lot of research, I bought a K&N filter and just used that. What i was never able to find in all my research is how much a CAI lowers intake air temperature over stock. I was very surprised by that as I understood that was the whole point of a "COLD" air intake... but nobody could tell me how much cooler the intake stream would be with a CAI. Then, most of the pictures I saw of installed CAIs were pulling air from the [hot] engine compartment... so I fail to see how that was a CAI, no matter how shiny the piping is. All of that drove my decision to simply buy the K&N air filter, rather than spending a couple of hundred dollars on engine bling.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I understand you right, the difference is that the Gotts mod is still pulling air from the fender well, not the [hot] engine compartment. drilling holes as you suggest (if I understood correctly) would match or exceed the Gotts airflow, but it would be with warmer air.

I did the Gotts mod on a 2000 F150 with the V6; never noticed any difference at all. it had decent power and ****** mileage before the mod, had decent power and ****** mileage after... FWIW.

On my 04 5.4L 2V, after a lot of research, I bought a K&N filter and just used that. What i was never able to find in all my research is how much a CAI lowers intake air temperature over stock. I was very surprised by that as I understood that was the whole point of a "COLD" air intake... but nobody could tell me how much cooler the intake stream would be with a CAI. Then, most of the pictures I saw of installed CAIs were pulling air from the [hot] engine compartment... so I fail to see how that was a CAI, no matter how shiny the piping is. All of that drove my decision to simply buy the K&N air filter, rather than spending a couple of hundred dollars on engine bling.

I should have added, K&N doesn't publish any before and after dyno runs either. Nor do they state how much cooler the intake air is as a result of using their products. They have ignored my email on the topic.

CharlyG

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noob here(for Expeditions, former Excursion guy...Since my ride is 2012, i guess I dont have to do much...My 6.8Ls had fairly good stock air intake as well. I'll look into the skinny hose dealio, but not sure I have that. I'll take a gander in the morning.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW
I should have added, K&N doesn't publish any before and after dyno runs either. Nor do they state how much cooler the intake air is as a result of using their products. They have ignored my email on the topic.
K&N FINALLY posted a dyno graph of their products. search this forum for "FINALLY" to find that thread.