GPS radio/cd player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yockmyer

Reaction score
Hello to all,
I have the chance to pick up this gps/cd player for my 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition. I currently have the 6 cd changer installed with no GPS. Does anybody know what else I would need to make the swap? I searched the site for info but didn't find anything. Any info would be appreciated. I really enjoy this site...I think I have spent more time reading/enjoying on here than driving "Shannon" Thank you again...

Jim

OP
OP
yockmyer

yockmyer

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the unit I'm thinking about buying...I am assuming it is not a 6 cd changer. Thanks.....

00i0i_jF84p9gpBRi_1200x900.jpg

OP
OP
yockmyer

yockmyer

Reaction score
As a complete novice re car audio installation, I just want to know if this swap would be "major surgery" or pretty much plug and play. If there is a thread re this that I overlooked, please feel free to let me know. Thanks for your time....

Jim

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I never worked on an 03, but I did the job on my 08. Your unit, if it was offered as an option in your year should just plug in. You will need an antenna for the GPS that usually mounts on the reinforcement under the dash. Magnetic after market ones are available.

If your car doesn't have steering wheel radio controls or a sub woofer and the navigation is programmed for them, they obviously won't work. You may have to make a harness to add those features. And if the unit is programmed for a subwoofer and you don't install one, you may lose the low sound.

OP
OP
yockmyer

yockmyer

Reaction score
Trainmaster,
Thank you for your reply...MY 03 has the steering wheel controls and a subwoofer. The existing radio has the DSP control button which I believe makes it an "Audiophile" system as opposed to a "Premium" system. They supposedly came out an 03. I like that they are factory....Again, thank you for the reply and the info.

Jim

As an aside, my father was an engineer on the B&O, then Chessie System for 35+ years. That man lived for the railroad.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That particular nav unit was OK at best in 2003. If this was 2004, I'd say go for it. Today I'm not sure I'd consider it.

You load multiple CD-ROMS of map data into the unit. These were Ford-specific and I don't know when the last was made/updated. At the time there were multiple discs, like a NE USA, SE, central, Canada, etc. Later Ford navigation discs held these 5-6 discs on one. Pretty sure this unit isn't backwards compatible. (ie: hard drive versus disc)

With this unit, audio CD's were loaded into a center console mounted 6-disc changer.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, Yock, and good to hear of your Dad's years with the B&O. Railroading indeed gets in one's blood and it's a round-the-clock career, until you retire. You probably know that.

Here on the coast we called that road "Beefsteak and Onions" back in the day. They ran into Staten Island in New York and had a small commuter operation there.

OP
OP
yockmyer

yockmyer

Reaction score
It wasn't only dad, but his father and 2 of his brothers were also B&O railroaders. When they got together it was "all railroad, all the time". :)

OP
OP
yockmyer

yockmyer

Reaction score
That particular nav unit was OK at best in 2003. If this was 2004, I'd say go for it. Today I'm not sure I'd consider it.

You load multiple CD-ROMS of map data into the unit. These were Ford-specific and I don't know when the last was made/updated. At the time there were multiple discs, like a NE USA, SE, central, Canada, etc. Later Ford navigation discs held these 5-6 discs on one. Pretty sure this unit isn't backwards compatible. (ie: hard drive versus disc)

With this unit, audio CD's were loaded into a center console mounted 6-disc changer.

Flexpedition,

Thank you for your reply. Based on what you're saying, I think I am going to forget about swapping these out. I appreciate your input. Seems like I won't be happy with the result.

Thanks again,

Jim

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flexpedition,

Thank you for your reply. Based on what you're saying, I think I am going to forget about swapping these out. I appreciate your input. Seems like I won't be happy with the result.

Thanks again,

Jim

Back a few years ago I installed 8track and cassette radios for my friends.....simple then just find a hot wire and decent ground and you’re good to go.....it’s a major operation anymore and I plan on keeping the B&O as it sounds pretty dang good...