Greg's Overland Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WasteOfMoney

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty much going to give a run down on why I chose this platform and what my intentions are.

I researched and shopped for about 6 months for a truck or SUV that fits my needs. 4 doors, rear seats (I have 2 kids and a doggo), 4x4, easy to find replacement parts, known reliability, offroad capability but good road manners...so solid rear axle and IFS fit the bill. I looked at K1500 trucks SUVs, Sport Tracs, Exploders (Gen 1 and 2), Expeditions and Tacos and 4runners. Immediately I found the Toyotas were not for me, let me explain. They are without a doubt the worlds best out of the box ready to mod offroaders. I wont deny that, or that they are known for unnatural reliability. BUT, they are also know for catastrophic rust and Toyota Tax. Seriously, why pay $7k for a Toyota when I can get a comparable american made truck for $2k?! My Toyota friends are still in denial about my findings.

So a friend of mine bought this truck at auction, and I told him I'd buy it. He gave me the friend price and I offered him a trade for my 2001 C320. Keep in mind I have $1250 in to the Mercedes. We straight traded and I ended up with a 2001 Expedition EB with 159k on the clock. Sold frame, solid rockers, everything works as it should, good tires. Needs a few minor things like new hatch glass hinges and sunroof linkage, but I'm not concerned.

The goal is to get the maintenance up on it, service the diffs, go ahead and do the dreaded spark plugs, suspension bushings, air to coil plus 2.5in lift. After I get some miles on it I want to add a second full size battery under the hood, hardwire my power inverter, full interior LED conversion, build a short box in the rear to hold drawers for my camp stove, "kitchen sink" and other supplies that I can also roll my sleeping bags out on. I'll likely tent camp if the entire family is with me, but for 2 people there is plenty of space in the truck.

20170609_120827_zpskwzx6whs.jpg
20170606_130829_zpsgcmv2sgk.jpg
20170606_124024_zps5i6z3vtp.jpg
20170609_124724_zpse2vmftca.jpg
20170618_203711_zpshqapyl4p.jpg

So far I've removed the factory amp and sub, I didn't waste any time diagnosing the issue. Installed new amp where sub was, and just put a single 10" Alpine type R in for now. I'll change it up when I get serious about building the rear set up. I've manually aired up the rear suspension and turned the air ride off. The pump leaks. It'll be slow progress but making a thread helps me keep track of my own build.

OP
OP
WasteOfMoney

WasteOfMoney

Reaction score
Spring conversion and lift is on! Still waiting on shocks. Tubular lower control arms are on the way as well. Parts I have sitting aside for future are:
Dana 50
Sterling 10.5
ZF6

Reaction score
I just got mine in April and I am still going through. Lots of leaks to fix now. Both sides of the axles by the front Diff are leaking and now the front of the driveshaft is leaking. I have drained the Rad because the HC was clogged and it needs another flush as well. I did the new Thermo and new coolant and it is better.
I have to get these leaks fixed right away!!!

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Toyotas in general. They all feel "soul-less".

Good looking Eddie.

I took my Expedition on a bit of an overland trip this summer for the eclipse. 4 nights, 5 days. Different camping spot each night. Lots of backroads and dirt. Expedition did fantastic. But it's funny: the more room you have, the more room you use. It was just me, my daughter and my dog and the Expedition was pretty well packed- including the roof. If my wife and other daughter had also come along....... that would have been interesting.

AirborneJordan

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. Any up dates yet. Your expedition looks like it is off to a good start.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some wheels on blocks on an incline, anyone else find that kinda scary?