Grinding in the rear end of 2003 eddie bauer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschramm

Reaction score
I am new to the forum so I apologize if I make a mistake posting. I have a rear end on a 2003 eddie bauer that is not behaving. It has 240K highway miles. Had it looked at and the mechanic says it needs clutch packs and a bearing. All for the small price of $2800. I can go on to the junk yard and pick up an entire rear end for about $500. See that there is a 3.73 gearing. Wondering if there is any other options and if there is how do you tell the difference.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

John

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It all depends on your abilities, tool set and time available to work on it. Ford rear ends are not hard to work on as long as you follow the steps and adhere to the specifications.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
differential problems are highly unlikely with these vehicles. like anything else it can happen but its RARE.
lift up your rear end off the ground , see if the tires wobble top to bottom if one side rocks top to bottom that bearing needs to be replaced. same for the other side. one of your CV joints could be bad also.
$2800 is ridiculous even I had to tear apart the rear differential and add 2 new bearings I still couldn't charge $2800 that's way too much in time
it wouldn't take me but 8 hours to rebuild the whole rear end.

OP
OP
J

jschramm

Reaction score
Update Found a complete differential with 93K from a junk yard for $300. Planning on changing the whole thing. Looking for a little insight on the any tricks or gotchas to look for.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are you calling a "complete differential"? In other words, what parts or assembly are you talkimg about?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What ever he buys it would be prudent to check the backlash and mesh before swapping it out.

Martin Blanchard

Reaction score
I have a 03 EB 190,000. When accelerating from a stop turning left or right there is a rubbing, binding sound coming from the rear end. This started maybe at 100,000 or so miles and was told it was clutch problem. When accelerating straight no abnormal sounds. When slowly accelerating through a turn or coasting through a turn no abnormal sounds. Have read that Ford limited slip diffs often develop this problem. Has anyone had the same problem and if so what did they do to fix it?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 03 EB 190,000. When accelerating from a stop turning left or right there is a rubbing, binding sound coming from the rear end. This started maybe at 100,000 or so miles and was told it was clutch problem. When accelerating straight no abnormal sounds. When slowly accelerating through a turn or coasting through a turn no abnormal sounds. Have read that Ford limited slip diffs often develop this problem. Has anyone had the same problem and if so what did they do to fix it?

Before you get into pulling apart the rear end, pull the rear rotor and check the parking brake.

Welcome to the forum.
Might be easier next time if you start your own thread.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Martin, Hopefully you have changed the axle fluid as prescribed. Time for 2nd change