Ground Clearance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong, please. It seems to me that ground clearance, as measured at the differentials, is a forbidden subject on this forum. almost no one mentions it, except to misuse it as body height or some such.

this forum is not the only one. I was watching a show about improving the suspension of a 5th gen 4 runner and wanted to check the ground clearance to compare what I'm doing on my 2nd gen expy. first, I think it's shocking they could talk about "improving" the suspension for offroad use without ever once mentioning ground clearance, then, when i tried to look it up, equally shocking to find a plethora of web sites talking about offroad suspension "improvements" that again, completely ignore ground clearance.

what am I missing here? if we aren't talking about ground clearance, at the lowest point (usually the differentials) when we talk about offroading, then what the hell are we doing? building westernized rice burners or what?

sounds like a lot of "all hat, no cattle" BS to me.
what am I missing? not a rhetorical question, I would really like an answer. if this is just a cosmetic forum, then somebody please tell me what is a real offroad forum for Expeditions.
thanks for your time.

David E

Reaction score
Hi there.
I doubt this to be just a cosmetic forum. Yet one must distinguish between Off-road and Expedition. This is not an "offroad forum for expeditions" Just merely an expedition forum where challanges are presented and others try and help the best they can. Off-road is its own entity since it shares common goals and steps to be taken between the vehicles involved (regardless to make and model). The expedition (gen2 in my case) Ground clearance is 9.3' (as per the book) to get it higher then that usually the only way would be bigger tires. Now that takes you to other required modifications like lift kits, cutting away through the body/fenders, possible differential re-gear (to accommodate load on the engine when turning) and as a result of all the above suspension may be also modified to accommodate preferences (handling, comfort, and Ground clearance consistency) one main example would be as IFS suspension compresses the ground clearance changes which if need for some speed come by one may say hello to an unexpected rock. It really is so personal and so related to the kind of terrain you are focusing on. Money as always plays a huge role here as it is not cheap and the possibilities are many and very customizable.
I would say the best place for information would be some hardcore off road forums where the vehicle you drive really does not matter (to some degree yes). Here I believe only those which have gone through the journey of getting their expy off road worthy can help. I am not sure how many there are. I for one got most of my knowledge from picking the brains of the "modifiers" we had while I was in the military. (where the limitations are pretty much in ones head) As much as I would love to have my Expedition off road worthy I could not justify the cost.
The best place you might find solid and good answers would be in dedicated off roading forums where others have similar vehicle as you.
P.S after you have all that valuable information and experience you are more than welcomed to post it here... I for one would enjoy reading the specifics.
Good luck. This is quite a journey with many stages.

OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi there.
I doubt this to be just a cosmetic forum. Yet one must distinguish between Off-road and Expedition. This is not an "offroad forum for expeditions" Just merely an expedition forum where challanges are presented and others try and help the best they can. Off-road is its own entity since it shares common goals and steps to be taken between the vehicles involved (regardless to make and model). The expedition (gen2 in my case) Ground clearance is 9.3' (as per the book) to get it higher then that usually the only way would be bigger tires. Now that takes you to other required modifications like lift kits, cutting away through the body/fenders, possible differential re-gear (to accommodate load on the engine when turning) and as a result of all the above suspension may be also modified to accommodate preferences (handling, comfort, and Ground clearance consistency) one main example would be as IFS suspension compresses the ground clearance changes which if need for some speed come by one may say hello to an unexpected rock. It really is so personal and so related to the kind of terrain you are focusing on. Money as always plays a huge role here as it is not cheap and the possibilities are many and very customizable.
I would say the best place for information would be some hardcore off road forums where the vehicle you drive really does not matter (to some degree yes). Here I believe only those which have gone through the journey of getting their expy off road worthy can help. I am not sure how many there are. I for one got most of my knowledge from picking the brains of the "modifiers" we had while I was in the military. (where the limitations are pretty much in ones head) As much as I would love to have my Expedition off road worthy I could not justify the cost.
The best place you might find solid and good answers would be in dedicated off roading forums where others have similar vehicle as you.
P.S after you have all that valuable information and experience you are more than welcomed to post it here... I for one would enjoy reading the specifics.
Good luck. This is quite a journey with many stages.

what book are you looking at? the research I did says the 2nd Gen is 8.9" of ground clearance stock for an (2004) XLT 4x4 at the differentials. I have not gone outside to measure. this has come up more than once; I guess I'll have to get off my fat ass and go measure.
and yes, as far as I know, the only way, ever, to get the diffs higher off the ground is to install taller tires. or portal axles.
I've tried some of the "hardcore" off road forums. First, let me say, I have no interest in "hardcore" off roading. more on that in a minute, but then I gotta say my experience there was not good. I find them overpopulated by inebriated 12 year-olds impressed with ***** size and extremely intolerant of anyone that is not willing to climb any rock at any cost. I learned a fair amount there, but ultimately it was not worth the abuse and immaturity I had to tolerate.

I suppose I should begin every post by saying my intent is to build an "expedition" class, or overland class, Expedition, not a toy that has to be trailered to a rock park. for that, the Ford Expedition is already a decent vehicle. I just want to do a little better.

having said all that, I stick by my original point. I just don't understand how we can discuss off-roading, of any type, without a focus on ground clearance. Especially when we are talking about tires and lifts. I just don't get it.
that's why I brought up the cosmetic. To me, if we're not interested in ground clearance, then it's all about the look. which is fine, if that's what you like, but surely I cannot be the only one more interested in function than form. or am I?