Ground Short?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not an electrician, so i might say the wrong things. That being said here is my problem:

this past winter my 4WD switch randomly stopped working (it had since randomly started working again).
I also lost the ability to roll down my drivers side window only (all other windows could be rolled down with the drivers controls as well as their own controls).

I was doing some highway driving and it sounded like a ton of teeny tiny rocks hit the side of my truck. my husband said try your window...IT WORKED!!

since then, i hear the teeny tiny rocks and something either goes out or turns on. for instance:
i hear the rocks and my left turn signal blinks rapidly, my 4WD switch works, and my front passenger side speaker stops crackeling.
sometimes i hear the rocks and my left turn signal goes back to normal blink rate, my passenger side speaker goes out, and my 4WD switch stops working.
now my 4WD switch doesn't work at all, my speaker works all the time, and my left turn signal blink rate is different every time i hear the rocks.

my husband said he thinks that i have a ground short somewhere, but taking that problem to a mechanic is like giving them a blank check. any of you experienced this or know what i should check (fuses, battery strength, etc.)

the only thing that i have changed on the truck wiring-wise is the front door speakers. i took out the factory one's and had to solder the wires together from the new speakers to the factory hook-up (my husband did this as he IS an electrical engineer). could this be the problem? if so, how do i determine if it is the problem?

thanks!

geeserteg

Reaction score
To me it sounds like you have a loose hot wire some where.. Chasing it down is the problem. The only thing that comes to mind is next time something isnt working start pulling fuses. For instance... next time the turn signal is messing up. Pull a fuse and see if it works. If not put the fuse back and goto the next. Dunno though this could be a pain..lol Im just throwing you some ideas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986