Gurgling from Engine After Shutdown (2018)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recently after shutdown I will get a significant sloshing/gurgling noise from the engine bay. I can hear it in the cab as it is LOUD. It's not constant (like water running) but almost seems like it's pulsing through ... something. It sounds like something is pumping liquid through for a couple of seconds, then it will stop, then it will pump through again. I have no leaks, no drips, no signs of any moisture exiting the engine anywhere.

It sounds like the same noise @Shutterbug57 was referencing in this post:
but there were no solutions or ideas offered.

It has been getting warmer around here, but I've had this vehicle through 4 Texas summers since purchasing it and have never heard it before...so it's clearly new.

Any ideas from the hive mind before I take it to the dealer and they tell me they can't replicate it and I leave after wasting 3 days?

(before you ask: no, I don't have a video but I will try to get one next time)

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recently after shutdown I will get a significant sloshing/gurgling noise from the engine bay. I can hear it in the cab as it is LOUD. It's not constant (like water running) but almost seems like it's pulsing through ... something. It sounds like something is pumping liquid through for a couple of seconds, then it will stop, then it will pump through again. I have no leaks, no drips, no signs of any moisture exiting the engine anywhere.

It sounds like the same noise @Shutterbug57 was referencing in this post:
but there were no solutions or ideas offered.

It has been getting warmer around here, but I've had this vehicle through 4 Texas summers since purchasing it and have never heard it before...so it's clearly new.

Any ideas from the hive mind before I take it to the dealer and they tell me they can't replicate it and I leave after wasting 3 days?

(before you ask: no, I don't have a video but I will try to get one next time)

Your description sounds as if there is air in your cooling system. Have you checked the coolant level? It is possible to have coolant in the reservoir, but still have air in the system - due to a small hole or loose clamp for the reservoir hose (which permits air to be pulled into the system when the engine cools down).

Undetected small coolant leaks are common with the 3.5 engine, and often do not leak onto the ground. Perhaps check the pump (engine off.....) from underneath, to look for any signs of weepage?

When mine leaked, it only leaked with the engine running and would evaporate / dry when the engine was hot and running.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds like an air pocket trapped in the heater core. When the pressure from the pump stops, coolant moves around and sloshes.

If you had the coolant replaced recently, then most probably they didn’t bleed the system correctly. The service manual calls for using a special vacuum pump for bleeding the cooling system.

OP
OP
aggiegrad05

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Your description sounds as if there is air in your cooling system. Have you checked the coolant level? It is possible to have coolant in the reservoir, but still have air in the system - due to a small hole or loose clamp for the reservoir hose (which permits air to be pulled into the system when the engine cools down).

Undetected small coolant leaks are common with the 3.5 engine, and often do not leak onto the ground. Perhaps check the pump (engine off.....) from underneath, to look for any signs of weepage?

When mine leaked, it only leaked with the engine running and would evaporate / dry when the engine was hot and running.
I am low on coolant, and after I got to the office this morning and popped the hood I could smell the telltale "burning coolant" smell even though there are no signs of moisture anywhere.

I called my service advisor and it's headed in this afternoon. They will have to keep it until next week but they have a loaner waiting for me.

Last edited:

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
just curious...how many miles are you at now? something i'm gonna watch out for

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

When the water pump begins to leak on the 3.5 engine, they often leak slowly and only weep when the engine is running and warmed-up.

Keep and eye on your coolants reservoir level and if it drops, start checking.

When cold, you can put a piece of blue painter’s tape on the outside of the coolant jug to indicate exactly where the top of the coolant level is - and it makes it easy to quickly check when the engine is cold.

OP
OP
aggiegrad05

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
55k miles.

When the water pump begins to leak on the 3.5 engine, they often leak slowly and only weep when the engine is running and warmed-up.

Keep and eye on your coolants reservoir level and if it drops, start checking.

When cold, you can put a piece of blue painter’s tape on the outside of the coolant jug to indicate exactly where the top of the coolant level is - and it makes it easy to quickly check when the engine is cold.
I mentioned the water pump to my service advisor and he said he actually hadn't seen that particular point of failure. But he did acknowledge that the 3.5s are prone to very slow leaks but you can only find them when the system is pressured up (as you said).

They will pressure it up and check it out. He said I should expect to hear back from them on Monday. Meanwhile, I get to "enjoy" an EcoSport.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
55k miles.

I mentioned the water pump to my service advisor and he said he actually hadn't seen that particular point of failure. But he did acknowledge that the 3.5s are prone to very slow leaks but you can only find them when the system is pressured up (as you said).

They will pressure it up and check it out. He said I should expect to hear back from them on Monday. Meanwhile, I get to "enjoy" an EcoSport.

While my 2015 Expedition was at the Ford dealer for repair of the transmission and a stored misfire code (for 51 days), I had the pleasure of driving a Ford Fusion and then a Ford EcoSport. I hated every day with both cars.

My Expedition also had coolant leaks repaired (under warranty - vehicle purchased new and never wrecked) from several hose connections and the coolant reservoir jug, and later from the water pump.

Pressurization of the cooling system did not reveal the water pump leak (by the Ford dealer), and I had to return it again for the water pump repair (insisting there was a leak and for the mechanic to check all locations). The service advisor said on the second trip the mechanic saw the leak when he put the car on the lift. The first trip, the mechanic only pressure tested the system, and sent me on my way with a “unable to duplicate” diagnosis.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious as to what the issue is.

So on my BMW 335i engine, it'll continue to pump coolant after shutdown if the engine is hot. There will be some gurgling noises in the coolant expansion tank from the coolant return line.

I would say if you're able to, try and bleed the system of air and continue to monitor. Sometimes an automotive stethoscope can help you identify where exactly the noise is coming form.