Had a good tow day today...pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had to tow a good size 4wd tractor and brush hog across the state today about 300 miles. Love how this truck goes. Love how well the brake controller works. Love how it downshifts in tow/haul mode when braking. 12mpg isn’t too bad either. First time towing something in my EL. dd1f8f89932335c860bbeee1cde0a251.jpg
96681609af21b2a5465c5580b58d2704.jpg
772cf51696018d8bd91045713edc013c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, i always like seeing people using their rigs for towing. Mine never tows much more than a 16’ landscape trailer with 4 wheelers on it but it does that well, doesn’t really feel it actually. I never caught my mileage dropping much. Again it’s probably only 3,000 pounds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to scale this trailer/tractor combo. The truck had to work to pull it. It wasn’t dramatic, but it definitely had to work. The Nivomats leveled out really really nicely. I was impressed.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to scale this trailer/tractor combo. The truck had to work to pull it. It wasn’t dramatic, but it definitely had to work. The Nivomats leveled out really really nicely. I was impressed.

I was going to ask how close you are to the towing limit.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to ask how close you are to the towing limit.
I bet nowhere even close. I doubt that tractor is over 2 ton and the trailer is probably around 2k.

I have my 35’ toy hauler hitched up to my EL now and with the cargo we have this trip it’s probably around 8k. Pulled it no problem. I’m really amazed at the little V6 in these trucks

Oldnerdguy

Reaction score
What kind of mpg do you get pulling your camper?

When pulling our utility trailer (2k to 3k lbs), the mileage drops only to 15 or 16.
No load or towing, we get 18 to 19 mpg average.
But with the camper (26ft and 6k lbs), ours drops to 9 to 11 depending on speed. Interstate is where it is the lowest. I attribute it to the face of it exposed to the wind, like pulling a parachute.
Just wonder if others see similar mpg. (Need to search on this)

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Towing was the only reason I bought a real SUV. First I needed something to tow a popup camper (5000 pound capacity Explorer) and later a full size camper (9000 pound capacity 5.4 Expedition). Not sure I'd want to part with the Expedition now even if I wasn't towing a camper. Just too handy. Responded last weekend to a "Daddy" request to bring a new door to my daughter's house from Home Depot. Needless to say it wouldn't fit in either their Outback or Forester. :)

Pretty sure pulling my 23' hybrid camper (full size body with the aerodynamics of a brick) I got maybe 11 or 12 mpg behind my '17. Only pulled it once so far and that was 500 miles last month from Cleveland to Richmond and that mainly in cruise control on the Interstates. Saw no difference activating Tow/Haul. My '07 pulling the same trailer got less than 10 mpg. The largest UHaul two months ago with the '17 got better mileage and maybe pushed 15 - 16 mph. This size trailer hides aerodynamically behind the truck.

The built-in brake controller was a pleasant surprise. I'd been using the Tekonsha Prodigy (proportional) controller on my previous Expedition and Explorer. This is every bit as nice and the setup is the same (meaning simple!).

The tow connection is smart as well. When I first hooked the camper to the truck the instrument panel indicated the left trailer brake light was out. Really? The truck knew that? Sure enough a bad bulb. PITA to replace a 14 year old light bulb that's rust-welded itself into the socket. Not sure how or even if this works on the boat/Uhaul trailer connector but it does on the RV connector. Gotta look at LEDs for the trailer.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m with chuck, the tech that this truck has for trailer connection is pretty wild. Has a checklist and I love the gain control as well as the readout giving real-time gain. Even if you’re not in the trailer tow screen on the left side, it will pop up the trailer gain readout during a braking session. I’m so so impressed by Ford engineering on this truck. I’m getting a misfire now (have been on and off for about a week now) so I’ll be taking it in under warranty to see what it is.