Hands-Free Liftgate Madness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhExped

Reaction score
2018 Limited with hands-free (foot-activated) tailgate...Never opens/closes when I try; Often opens/closes when I don't (like when hooking up or unhooking a trailer); Several times has opened when I'm simply walking by 3 feet away (feet nowhere near the bottom of car).

Anyone else experiencing this? And, more importantly, anyone have service done that actually helps the hands-free tailgate behave better?

I've had it in to dealer and they shrugged their shoulders and more/less said that's just the way it is.

OP
OP
M

mhExped

Reaction score
Thank you. I did try searching the forums several different ways for related threads prior to posting, but came up empty.

I see from the thread you cited, I must have missed it because I was searching for "liftgate" (all one word) as a search param, not "lift gate" (two words). I'll explore that thread and return to the search function with different variations of the same words I used previously to see what else I can dig upon the topic.

I was surprised to find so little on the topic - couldn't believe I was the only one it was giving fits! :)

Thanks again. Appreciate it!

fishrising

Reaction score
TSB 19-2162 out there for mis-wiring, see bottom half of attached pic, from today.

320f39f7a255a9950b894d0bebc35a83.jpg

OP
OP
M

mhExped

Reaction score
Had my '18 Limited into the dealer recently to take another look at this issue. According to notes, they applied steps from TSB 19-2162. Unfortunately, the tailgate still activates under the worst of circumstances (like when hooking up or disconnecting a trailer) when no action whatsoever is taken that replicates the foot-application karate kick.

Anyone else have this problem and get it resolved by a method other than TSB 19-2162?

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had my first false yesterday... Opened right into the bike rack. I hope no kids were near by....

jastevenson

Reaction score
I just disabled mine after nearly having the tailgate decapitate me a few times. Wasn’t worth it. But truly poor engineering by Ford. Other manufacturers get it right.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine smoked me in the forehead when hooking up trailer first time. It works every time with my foot tho....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01