Hardwiring Radar and Dashcam on 2019 Expedition Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idesi1

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Hardwiring Radar detector or Dashcam to 2018-2019 Expedition? I traded my Explorer and had stuff hardwired and would like to do same here but I don't wanna mess up my new truck unless I know how to.
I could not find a link for Hardwiring so any help would be great
Thanks in advance

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some people have used power from rear mirror, I ran my cables to the right, down the pillar, down to passenger footwell where all the fuses reside just inside the door. micro add-a-fuse and off we go.

OP
OP
I

idesi1

Reaction score
Some people have used power from rear mirror, I ran my cables to the right, down the pillar, down to passenger footwell where all the fuses reside just inside the door. micro add-a-fuse and off we go.

Thanks John. I didn't check the fuses yet but thought of doing the same. Is there a video or pics for the DIY ? The reason I am asking is for my Explorer the fuse box was at the worst location and way too tough to get the hard-wire done even with the diy instructions so hoping Expedition is easier.

bridgerider

Reaction score
I did a similar install as JohnT above. I put the front dashcam right behind the rearview mirror so it's not visible to the driver, ran the cables down to the fusebox in the passenger footwell (it's a bit cramped working down there FYI!) and also ran cables in the roof liner back to the tailgate for the rear dashcam. The most stressful part was gently prying off the interior trim on the trunk so I could route the cable through the existing cable conduit. After installation, there is almost no cable visible other than an inch or two from each of the dashcams.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just added both a dash cam and a radar detector to my Navigator. I used fuse 23 which was the only fuse with keyed power. This fuse is at the top of the interior fuse panel which forced the add a fuse adapter to be pointed downward. I added an extra inline fuse on the pigtail because of this, but later realized that the down was the proper orientation and the extra fuse was not needed.

I also needed a RAC fuse (retained accessory fuse) for another project. I bought a 3 prong add a fuse. This one did not fit into the fuse box because the add a fuse had extra plastic on the ends. I removed the extra plastic from the add a fuse with a Dremel tool and it fit perfectly.

One caution when running wires up the front windshield pillar: disconnect the battery and remove the pillar trim to run the wires up to the roof. Tie wrap the wires on the windshield side to make sure they don't interfere with the side curtain airbags.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just added both a dash cam and a radar detector to my Navigator. I used fuse 23 which was the only fuse with keyed power. This fuse is at the top of the interior fuse panel which forced the add a fuse adapter to be pointed downward. I added an extra inline fuse on the pigtail because of this, but later realized that the down was the proper orientation and the extra fuse was not needed.

I also needed a RAC fuse (retained accessory fuse) for another project. I bought a 3 prong add a fuse. This one did not fit into the fuse box because the add a fuse had extra plastic on the ends. I removed the extra plastic from the add a fuse with a Dremel tool and it fit perfectly.

One caution when running wires up the front windshield pillar: disconnect the battery and remove the pillar trim to run the wires up to the roof. Tie wrap the wires on the windshield side to make sure they don't interfere with the side curtain airbags.
Where is the fuse box in the Navigator? I see where it says it’s located from the owners manual but I could not find a way to access it. Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s above the accelerator pedal towards the center of the vehicle behind the kick panel, correct?

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is in the side kick panel by the passenger side front door. Look in the owner's manual.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
60896EF7-1946-481F-982F-5E364ADF1849.jpeg
It is in the side kick panel by the passenger side front door. Look in the owner's manual.
The owners manual doesn’t say what side it’s on and I assumed drivers side because every other car I’ve had had it there. I’ll check the passenger side next time I get time.

60896EF7-1946-481F-982F-5E364ADF1849.jpeg